Mt Davies Road

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 15:06
ThreadID: 43845 Views:2706 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anybody had been on the Mount Davies Road of recent times? Preferably traversed in the north-westerly direction from the Anne Beadell towards Iltur,Watarru and finishing at Wingellina (Have permits for S/G corner). If so what were the conditions like? How long did it take to complete the trip and where abouts did the track conditions improve as you headed north. There is very little info available regarding this drive. Cheers Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 15:22

Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 15:22
Main issue has been its been impossible to get permissions from the AP Lands to travel the Mt Davies Rd.
AnswerID: 230856

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 18:53

Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 18:53
Yeah I'd have to agree with you there Phil. Pitj Lands are the worst at getting back to you although I believe the road is still not "restricted" as say the Mulga Park Road is. It will be interesting to see how the Mal Brough's plans to ease restrictions will affect access to these roads in coming years. Cheers. Mick.
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 491740

Reply By: wdric - Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 18:42

Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 18:42
I inquired about this also, heading out that way in a week or so.

I found that they do not like women in the area to the south of Iltur (secret men’s business from way back) and was advised it would be next to impossible to get a permit with my family.

The road down to Iltur is OK, but further south to Anne's corner has not been traveled very often.
I spoke to a guy from Iltur & he had been down there a couple of years ago and done about 3 tyres in 150ks & took about 2 days to travel that. This was enough to put me off as I am not looking for trouble.

He did say this is a real shame as there is some great country around there.
He also said there is some talk among some communities to get a road put in to the west of here as this land is not taboo and they are realising that tourism will be a good source of income.
It seam Ironic as I found some info on the net about Iltur and the home page had a picture of a sign on the side of the road before the town which said welcome, but it is a bit hard to actually get there.
I think it is one of those things where the local people welcome you but the they don't put the rules and regulations in place.

I have ended up going from Wingellina down to Illkurlka Roadhouse via the business road, Yes another 2 permits required
AnswerID: 230880

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 18:56

Saturday, Mar 31, 2007 at 18:56
Thanks wdric. I head out in 6 weeks myself (providing I can get the new engine in the GU by then). Which way are you headed? I've got 10 weeks on the road with a mate heading out from Melb. Simpson, Wingellina, David Carnegie, Gunbarrel, Canning Rudall River etc.
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 491742

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Sunday, Apr 01, 2007 at 08:11

Sunday, Apr 01, 2007 at 08:11
Mick,

we did this trip about 4 yrs ago. We turned NW at Anne's Corner and came out at Pipalyatjara.

Between AC and Mt Lindsay is some of the toughest on road desert travel I have ever done. One day we covered about seventy k's. The track is overgrown and disappears for hundreds of meters, necessitating a lot of time on foot scouting a few dunes ahead for signs of the track. The dunes are massive - bigger than big red.

We had 3 vehicles and spent a lot of time digging and snatching - even joining several straps together at times.

It looked as if there hadn't been a vehicle for several yrs when we went through but from other evidence I am aware that may not be the case.

My mates and I reckon its the best trip we've ever done (and we've done a few).
AnswerID: 230937

Follow Up By: Crackles - Sunday, Apr 01, 2007 at 12:14

Sunday, Apr 01, 2007 at 12:14
Would love to do the run north from Annes cnr as well, dare I ask how one got permission for the trip or was it "Unnofficial"?
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 491862

Sponsored Links