Vehicle side steps

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 11:27
ThreadID: 43945 Views:2211 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Havent done much 4wdriving in sand and would like some opinions on the affect of having steps on the car.
I have a softroader (Tucson) with genuine steps fitted to the side of the car and have been told by friends to take them off when driving in sand.

These guys have told me that if i get bogged the steps will be a hinderance and will make it almost impossible to get out of the situation.

Can someone tell me if this is correct, the steps are level with the rocker panel of the car and are about 150mm wide

Thanx :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark Taylor - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 11:46

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 11:46
Well, I had a Tucson Elite (which you can't fit side steps to according to Hyundai). I drove it on Fraser island... but I had a 50mm lift kit in it as well as larger tyres. The part of the car that did hang up was on inland tracks and that was the front transaxle. In other words, it wasn't the sides of the car, it was underneath because of the high centre of the tracks.

If you lower your standard tyres down to 18 psi you'll find it will go most places.. turn off the Traction Control (very important) and enjoy yourself. If you do get stuck, most people will be happy to santch you out IF you have your own rated shackles and snatch strap.

I ran mine up and down Teewah beach on the Sunshine Coast straight from the show room.. standard suspension and tyres.

Enjoy.

Cheers

mark T
AnswerID: 231409

Follow Up By: rest needed - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 11:57

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 11:57
Hi Mark,

I have seen many Tucson Elite's such as mine with factory steps on them, i don't know why they would say that to you.

Also I would like to know when you were recovered with snatch strap, did you have recovery points fitted or use the tie down points on the car.

Anyway thanx for the advice mate i will give it a shot.

Cheers
FollowupID: 492330

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 14:52

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 14:52
Bloody hell mate,

If you are that deep in sand that the side steps are touching, you are in deep poo indeed.

The bottom of the side steps on my Jack are no lower than the centre line of the hubs and the diffs (and Cross-member) would already be "buried" by that stage.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 231438

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 15:42

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 15:42
You mean you haven't been in that deep Sandman. I certainly have and more than once too. OOpppssss.

Get out there and have a go!!!! But don't forget the shovel.

Need a rest,

A good shovel and some patience will get you out of just about any hole you can get into in the sand.

Mind you a mate with a heavy 4wd and a good snatch strap is always nice to have.

Duncs
FollowupID: 492369

Reply By: Robin - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 15:17

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 15:17
Hi Rest Needed

Can't help you really , my car (Patrol) came with sidesteps and I wouldn't be caught dead with them and they were off the car with 2 hours of it getting home brand new.

I have helped re-straighten several sets though from cars following.

Robin Miller
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 231442

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 19:01

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 19:01
Wouldn't be caught dead without them! My 100 series Cruiser would be a mangled mess otherwise. I have an ARB set and they are brilliant. I have slid the 100 over all kinds of stuff and gouged the bejesus out of them which would have stuffed all 4 door and rocker panels. Makes it so much easier to get in and out of too.

My GU's side steps took the impact of a log that would have cost me a door too.

My 75 series relied on them constantly. Just hammer them back when bent. Much easier and cheaper than replacing doors and going to the panel beater.

This is why you should have side steps..........

FollowupID: 492418

Follow Up By: Exploder - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 20:53

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 20:53
Yeah V8 that is what it’s all about LOL.

My side steps have saved my body many times, and the underside are coved with dents and scrapes, Currently making up a new set out of Mild steel Rectangular Tube that will sit under the sills, with Stainless steel 2½- Inch tube as the step bar that will sit up higher mostly out of harms way.
FollowupID: 492457

Follow Up By: Robin - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 22:29

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 22:29
I think your talking about real sliders not the toy stuff that comes on new cars.

Robin Miller
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 492496

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Thursday, Apr 05, 2007 at 12:00

Thursday, Apr 05, 2007 at 12:00
No, even the alfoil ones are far, far better than nothing.

I view them like a sacrificial anode of sorts.
FollowupID: 492763

Reply By: Mark Taylor - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 16:16

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 16:16
Sidesteps on the tucson... well, the ELITE has side airbags. And the Hyundai Accessory brochure says that side steps are not compatible with side airbags.

Recovery points.

I had a recovery device that fitted in the rear tow bar reciever for the rear, and used the factory ones on the front.

I have been snatched backwards with this set up and also snatched a troopy full of pommie back packers on fraser Island. They had around 4000 PSI in the tyres!

Cheers

Mark T
AnswerID: 231448

Follow Up By: rest needed - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 16:41

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 16:41
Mmmmm, will have to look into that one as i do have side airbags. I did however buy the vehicle secondhand so maybe a dealer fitted them sometime after it was sold from new.

I was curious about what you used for front recovery because I have recently e-mailed Hyundai and they told me definately dont use the front hooks.

Cheers
:)
FollowupID: 492387

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 20:20

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 20:20
I think you will find that the hooks are only tie down points,NOT recovery,previous reply states in an e-mail from the factory the same.
Get 'em replaced with something decent for peice of mind.
The bloke who is trying to help you get unstuck, will be the one who will be dodging the missile when/if it breaks and if it doesn't kill someone it will probably do damage.

Shame

AnswerID: 231496

Sponsored Links