pajero on gas

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 20:34
ThreadID: 43966 Views:8476 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all i am thinking of converting my 97 3.5 dohc pajero to gas. i tow a 13ft 6 windsor rapid and want more power and better fuel economy (big ask i know)
I am after some info on cost economy over petrol and best place to put the tank (dont want it in car). can i keep fuel tank as well. Are there any other mods that assist like chips like heltec
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rock Crawler - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 21:20

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 21:20
I dont care what Mitz say , I still think Gas and Mitsubishi dont mix .

my opinion only .
AnswerID: 231521

Reply By: Blaze - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 21:37

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 21:37
Hi Mickpaj,

I own 3ltr Challenger with dual fuel and my brother has a 2002 exceed on both as well. If the 97 model has the extra seats that go under the floor this is where they usually put the tank. Now as for getting more power, that doesn't happen with LPG, you actually loose about 5% with good Gas kits more with some other Kits.

I have owned 2 other Mitsubishis that have had LPG fitted and as long as they have hardened valves they are fine on LPG. Both other vehicles done over 23,000k's with no problems caused by the Gas.

Wouldn't even contemplate a vehicle now a days not on LPG. Cost for fitting to your vehicle if you shop around should be under $2,500 less $2,000 Gov rebate :-)
AnswerID: 231528

Reply By: Smdger - Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 21:53

Tuesday, Apr 03, 2007 at 21:53
Mick,
I've been an LPG fan for years, can't understand why more people haven't gone there. First was a Rangie, and my current Disco I is on gas.
(Yes, Landies are a disease!!)
1. POWER: Power is a tad better on gas. I get more torque on LPG, better acceleration on ULP.
2. ECONOMY: Economy is heaps better due to pricing only. I use a little more gas, calculating average Km's per litre on both fuels, my ratio is 1.3LPG:1ULP. What that means is I divide the price of petrol by 1.3 to find the break even cost of LPG. If ULP is $1:30, to achieve identical operating cost for both fuels LPG would need to be $1/litre. So, at around 40 cents per litre that's a 60% saving. That's in the City (Sydney) Usually the LPG price is higher out of the City, and is highest in the remote areas. Occasionally LPG is not available, but that's only happened to us right out in the Donga. In 2005 we went across the Top End and in Normanton LPG was same price as petrol, obviously we bought ULP. But that was a rarity.
3: TANK: I don't think you'll have any trouble getting a tank installed underneath and still retain the original petrol tank, they seem to have sorted that one out. Size of gas tank? My son was talked into installing a 110 litre gas tank. it's cost him a lot in ground clearance. Something to think about. If you're not going off road, no probs. My tank is 80 litres, (60 useable) around town I get 240kms/fill, on the freeway much better, an extra 100kms/tank. (When you do those sums, I never said the Disco had good economy, just better value on LPG. Still, on gas prices it's the equivalent of 30mpg on petrol))
4. INJECTION SYSTEM: One of the problems with LPG is backfiring, not dangerous, but it melts expensive components occasionally. The new direct-injection systems eliminate that problem. Again, something for discussion with installers.
Hope that helps.
Smudger
AnswerID: 231535

Reply By: Member - Tim - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 16:28

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 16:28
Some of the Pajero engines are built to be able to run on gas. Usually this involves hardened valves and such like. I have a feeling that the DOHC was not. This was one of the reasons they went back to a single cam engine along with better low down torque. Best to check with Mitsubishi or try the Pajero forum in Victoria www.pajeroclub.com.au/home/publicforum/ as there are a lot of people there with specific Pajero knowledge. I don't agree that gas and Mitsu engines don't mix. Some of the 3.5 engines they put out are actually made to run only on gas and they have been stating for a long time that some of their engines are very suitable for the conversion, just not sure about the DOHC in the Pajero.

Tim.
AnswerID: 231648

Follow Up By: kev.h - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 17:12

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 17:12
Your right the DOHC suffer cronic problems the SOHC is ok on gas but with upper cylinder lube injection, read an artical reciently maybe able to find a copy if you like
Kev
FollowupID: 492617

Reply By: pickle - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 18:51

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2007 at 18:51
Your NK 97 Paj will be fine for conversion to LPG. The NK was the first models Mitsubishi accepted to be lpg compatable. You will not lose too much power as the 3.5 DOHC had more kw than the 3.5 SOHC . Tank goes under the car so will be a little loss of ground clearance.
Dave
AnswerID: 231671

Reply By: Kinggeorge - Thursday, Apr 05, 2007 at 23:52

Thursday, Apr 05, 2007 at 23:52
Hi, well blaze said it all. I have a Mitabitz 2002 Challenger, put on LPG since new, pulled a 20' Van all over Australia. Saved me 1000's $ in fuel, had very little problem in 110000 kms. Go for it your will not regret, just make sure it's a reputable registered LPG conversion company.
George
AnswerID: 231931

Reply By: Dallas from Team Green Autogas - Monday, Apr 09, 2007 at 12:32

Monday, Apr 09, 2007 at 12:32
G'day Mick,
Your Pajero will come out to be a good conversion at the end of the day. I think you might be hoping for a bit much wanting more power from a petrol / lpg conversion though. If it were a diesel / lpg conversion then you'd be on the right track but you'll definately get significant savings from a petrol / lpg conversion.
From a fitters point of view they're a bleep of a job but you'll end up with approx 70Ltrs of usable gas under the rear with the lpg filler valve being located in the original petrol filler hatch. Essentially your original petrol tank is removed & the lpg cylinder fitted in its place. You'll have an auxillery petrol tank fitted half way along the vehicle on the passenger side under the rear seats giving you approx 45Ltrs of petrol.

What ever you do, make sure you fit the good quality equipment or you will be bitten in the ass. People go to lpg looking to save themselves money running their vehicle & then they go & get the cheapest conversion they can get to save themselves even more money but sure enough.... surprise surprise... you get what you pay for! We only fit Sprint Gas equipment. It's reputable,reliable & tunable. Fit decent stuff from the start & you'll never look back.
AnswerID: 232369

Sponsored Links