Expensive repairs.

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 18:31
ThreadID: 4411 Views:1430 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just reading the thread about steering knuckle leaking (Post ID 4370) on the 80 series Cruiser and you guys say that to have the seals replaced and re greased would cost $600-$700.

Is this true ? , how much is labour in the big smoke as mentioned the kit costs $100.

I recently had mine replaced by ARB with some other work done at no where near that cost. (as follows)

Supply and fit swivel hub kit
Supply and fit rear diff pinion seal
Remove and replace front diff centre and replace O-rings in air locker
Gear oil front and rear and w/shop supplies
5 hours w/shop labour

Total - $497.00

I thought this was expensive !

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 18:51

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 18:51
hi kev thats sounds to cheap for what you had done.a swivel kit contains axle seals wiper seals and swivel bearings.to do it properly involves pulling swivel housings off.cleaning and repacking wheel bearings 2hrs just doing that.replace axle seals easy nocking out old swivel bearing caps and fitting new ones can be a bugger to do.cleaning out and repacking swivel housing dirty job and takes time.takes me 6-8hrs including another wheel alignment.someone mentioned in an earlier thread about cutting wiper seal and then fitting .in that case about an hour but that will not fix problem in the long run.but for what you paid and if was done properly i woouldnt complain.looking foward to easter at jamieson
AnswerID: 17693

Follow Up By: Kev. - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 19:40

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003 at 19:40
Yeah all done properly as i requested the axle seals to be replaced because the diff oil was a grease colour and they where removing the diff centre so now or never.

I also dropped in to see if any problems with the air locker while it was out and saw the swivel hubs off and also was given all the old replaced seals ect, including king pin bearings.
FollowupID: 11112

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 11:50

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 11:50
I did mine, its not a hard job with the right tools, more time consuming than hard. I had a mechanic mate who has done this stuff before help me with it, as it was my first time into a front diff..

he watched and I did it, I recommed this method to anyone who wants to learn how to save $$.. The biggest time delay was cleaning everythin, and repacking the CV's or the time we had for BBQ lunch!

Lay everything out on a sheet(dont let the wife know!) as you pull it apart. cleaning as you go is easiest, then pack with grease and put back togehter.

The GQ has a 52.4mm nut on them! Try findin one of them in your local store, or Nissan has them at $95... PITA!
AnswerID: 17757

Reply By: jason - Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 15:09

Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 15:09
when i used to do these i would charge 6 hours labour plus wheel allignment because it is the cleaning and repacking of everything that takes the time.if the axle seals have been leaking all the grease in cv's,wheel bearings etc would be contaminated.what you had done sounds very cheap to me
rgards
jason
AnswerID: 17927

Follow Up By: Kev. - Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 15:58

Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 15:58
No wheel allignment done though !

How much do you charge for labour per/hour ?
FollowupID: 11246

Sponsored Links