Petrol - any advance purchase options??

Submitted: Friday, Sep 28, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 442 Views:1728 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We're going to travel around Oz and I was wondering if anyone had heard of any major petrol resellers (Shell, BP, Caltex, etc) offering to sell bulk petrol in advance to you. This way you could lock into a known fuel cost per litre, which given that fuel will be one of our major costs would be nice. I know that there won't always be a Caltex when I need one but we'd only prepurchase enough for part of the trip anyway. Has anyone heard of such bulk advance purchase arrangements?? You'll be pleased to know this is my last question for a while!! Thanks Gary
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, Sep 29, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Sep 29, 2001 at 00:00
You might try some to the cards, like Shellcard or StartCard for Caltex. Some of these have an agreed contract fuel rate. But that might only be for "the big boys"
AnswerID: 1139

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Saturday, Sep 29, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Sep 29, 2001 at 00:00
Gary,Good question however, I think the answer will come back as not available. One of the things to note is that most outback service stations are independant and do not support the use of any fleet cards. We have come across heaps of the major brand stations and the first thing you see at the pump no fleet or starcards etc (depends on brand of course). In the bush the prices do increase a lot and this is of course due to transport cost to get the fuel in. You will be amazed at how some of the fuel locations get the massive trucks in to provide the petrol. In a lot of cases to prices are justifiable. Also remember that fuel prices are different in each state as state tax rules on fuel are additional to federal excises and taxes - this is why I think you will be unable to arrange a fixed price.After all is said and done I think your major problem here is the lack of branded fuel outlets in the more remote areas. I will be watching this space to see if anyone has heard anything else because I would like to lock down my fuel costs on trips also.Good luck and enjoy.
AnswerID: 1141

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, Oct 13, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 13, 2001 at 00:00
In small towns and especially the more central ones you will find fuel depots- as opposed to normal outlets. You will find that they sell fuel much cheaper than the service stations. These are the places that Telstra , and large operators get their fuel, road trains etc.. However you will need to do your homework or spend a bit of time looking around the towns- or ask the right people- not the servos! You can often save 4-5 cents per litre -- all adds up!

steve
AnswerID: 1209

Sponsored Links