Mount Augustus

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 16, 2003 at 17:07
ThreadID: 4427 Views:1442 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone know of published information about the trip from Meekatharra to Mount Augustus to Carnarvon.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: lizard - Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 18:11

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 18:11
No ... but did the trip in 2001 ... good road - couple of nice spots - Mt Gould Police station (rebuilt) and Rocky Pool on Gascoyne .... tried Landor races (ruined by a group of people) .........
AnswerID: 17850

Reply By: maverick - Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 23:14

Thursday, Apr 17, 2003 at 23:14
have a look at some of the back issues of the wa bushdriver magazine. has fair bit of info about that area. good place to visit. since moving down from broome i have spent a lot of time in the upper gascoyne and goldfields. great area that doesn't get too many people visiting. try the collier range. hardly anyone goes there. enjoy your trip.lake mason for easter.
AnswerID: 17868

Reply By: mich - Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 08:47

Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 08:47
hi fred, we went to mt. Augustus and the kennedy rangers last october 2002. we came from carnarvon then to kennedy ranges, through to mt clere station, then on to Mt augustus. I found the WEST. AUSTRALIAN maps to be the best they had the clear, more information, and they were true and correct they are a good reference and so is the calm, national parks information. The hema maps we brought was new, but the roads didnt match to what is on the ground and it cost us 70km and a worry. thanks to the gps. i would get one f you dont have one. THERE IS A SWIMMING HOLE AT CATTLE POOL, BLOODY BEAUTIFUL. spend some time at the kennedy ranges as they a unbeliveable. you will have the best time in the area. fuel is availabe and everyone is friendly. I wouldn't tow a van through that area, we left ours at carnarvon, not meekatharra, due to advice from fellow travellers!!!!if you would like more information contact me through email only to happy to tell you how it is. have a great trip. carry 2 spare tyres, wouldn't travel that road without 2. regards michelle
AnswerID: 17916

Follow Up By: Member - Fred - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 18:16

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 18:16
Thanks for the info provided - looks like 2004 trip
FollowupID: 11364

Follow Up By: victatwo - Monday, May 05, 2003 at 00:32

Monday, May 05, 2003 at 00:32
This may be of use even though it was about 5 or more years ago friends and I towed 3 caravans from Meeka to Canarvon and had a very easy time and no probs but be wary of suddenly coming across creek crossing which are ok but not designed to be hit at speed, enjoy the trip,just a pity that Cobra station has been taken over by a religous group as used to be a great stop for a beer and accomodation
Regards Tom the pom
FollowupID: 12028

Sponsored Links