Crossing the Simpson in January

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 30, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 443 Views:1778 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there!
We will be in Australia for 3 months (Jan-march) and will ship our Nisson Patrol over to do some nice tracks, like the Simpson desert. But someone told me, it would be too hot at that time!? My question now is, if it is realy NOT feasable or would it be better to cross the simpson early march instead of january? Or do we just need some more water? We have no experience in crossing a desert in summer, I only have crossed the Sahara in Libya, but it was winter then, and much too cold at night!!

Also, we are looking for some people to join us, as they (off course) advise us to travel with more than one jeep for safety reasons.

Karin.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Anne - Sunday, Sep 30, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Sep 30, 2001 at 00:00
Karin, we crossed the Simpson Desert last year in July. The weather was warm - got up to 30C - on more than one day, and that's winter!! I would advise strongly against crossing the desert in the Australian summer months. March weather can be as hot as January weather.
AnswerID: 1144

Reply By: Mike Ranger - Monday, Oct 01, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 01, 2001 at 00:00
Karind, the simple answer is don't do it at that time of year. Temperatures can stay above 35 degrees celsius day and night for weeks, with day temps reaching the 50s. you will not only put yourself at risk but others who may have to come to your aid, should you enconter difficulties. The desert is a wonderful trip, but between May and October at the latest are the safest times.
Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 1147

Follow Up By: Karin - Monday, Oct 01, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 01, 2001 at 00:00
OK, I got the message. It seems that we'll need to change our program then ... Is it also not sensible to drive AROUND the Simpson, for example doing the trip from Birdsville to Marree? Or somewhere in the neighbourhood? It's going to be hot too off course, but less dangerous in case of a breakdown, no?!
Sorry to ask these kind of questions, it might look stupid to ask, but I really like to be sure before we set off. If you also not advise us to go, where càn we do some 4x4 tracks then at that time of the year? It is rainy season up north, so I guess we can't go there either ..

I'm really a bit disappointed!
Karin.
FollowupID: 335

Follow Up By: Joerg - Monday, Oct 15, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 15, 2001 at 00:00
Hello Katrin,

Doing the Oodnadatta-Track, Birdsville Track and Strzelecki-Track in March could be ok. It might be hot as well (30°C and more)but travelling these tracks is not so dangerous than crossing the Simpson Desert. I did these trecks three times before (also in March and April), it was hot too, but not to worse.

Regards
Jörg
FollowupID: 354

Reply By: Margaret - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2001 at 00:00
Have you considered the Victorian high country? The scenery is wonderful, great 4WD tracks, as well as nice rivers for swimming in and camping by. Climate very pleasant at that time of year. If you go in February it is outside school holidays too so not too many people around.
AnswerID: 1152

Reply By: Mike Ranger - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2001 at 00:00

Karin, sorry to spoil your plans. There are still many places to see and 4WD, the victorian high country is magnificent at that time of year, especially outside school holidays. The Flinders Ranges in South Aussie also has some great 4WD tracks and, although it will still be quite hot, if your air conditioning is up to it, maybe you could have a look in there. Start with the Wilpena Pound info centre, they will give you all the best and safest advice. Hope this helps a bit. Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 1153

Reply By: ExplorOz team - Linda - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2001 at 00:00

Hi Karin, Just to add my input, I'm not sure your point of arrival in Australia, but anywhere along the coast (aside from the far north) is brilliant that time of the year. Suggest maybe even doing from Melbourne to Cairns along the coast. There are still some great 4wd opportunities just inland of the coast (as others have pointed out). Have a look at the Queensland, Victoria and NSW treks. Some beautiful coast and islands. Try Fraser Island/Moreton Island, both treks are on the ExplorOz site. Enjoy. Linda - ExplorOz team
AnswerID: 1154

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2001 at 00:00

Karin- you really got the natives jumping!!Simpson desert is a definite no-no! At this time of year keep out of the centre of the continent in general- the coastal areas and mountainous regions are the perfect areas to visit at this time of year. Don't fret- there are vast areas to travel off the beaten track, all are equal to and better ?? than the Simpson Desert-- Aussie is a huge country, don't think it is all the same climate. When you get there the locals will help you!
Steve
AnswerID: 1161

Reply By: Graham - Thursday, Oct 18, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 18, 2001 at 00:00
Like most say, keep out of the Simpson desert and like places, if your not experienced bush/outback traveller. But the made roads like Birdsville/Maree/Oddnadatta etc. where there is a bit of traffic should not be a problem as long as you have prepared properly.. As its bloody hot..... January etc is the time to travell the southern half of the country,

Whatever enjoy the trip
AnswerID: 1236

Sponsored Links