EXTRA FUEL 2WD CAMPERVAN

Submitted: Monday, Oct 01, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 444 Views:1824 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
In about two weeks time i will be flying into Darwin via Bali ffrom the UK. I have pre-booked a campervan for my journey from Darwin to Melbourne.

I appreciate that there should be a plentiful supply of fuel via garages on my route south. The only problem is that I want to get off the main routes as much as possible. Obviously with road surfaces for a 2wd having to be considered.

I don't want to get into a position where I have to travel in a certain direction just because I may need to re-fuel.

Would it be safe to carry spare fuel? If so what are the best containers to buy and what sort of prices will I have to pay?

Regards to all who reply.

John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike Ranger - Monday, Oct 01, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 01, 2001 at 00:00
John, unless you intend crossing the Simpson desert or the Canning stock route there should be no real need to carry spare fuel. It is a lot more important, in the time of year we are heading into to carry ample water. If you decide your route reqires fuel, then steel jerry can are the safest, but at about $40-$50 also the dearest. The plastic ones are also very good provided the are recognised fuel drums,(stamped on outside of drums). Your fuel should also be carried on the outside of the vehicle. hope this has been of some help & enjoy your visit through our outback. Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 1146

Reply By: Joe - Monday, Oct 01, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 01, 2001 at 00:00
John,

I would agree with the Ranger reply - you shuldn't need to carry extra fuel. As you are hiring a vehicle it is also unlikely that you will have any appropriate storage capability on the outside of the camper, and carrying it inside is just stupid.

Enjoy your trip, and as you are a Pom you should also make sure that the vehicles has working air conditioning!

Joe
AnswerID: 1149

Follow Up By: John - Tuesday, Oct 02, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 02, 2001 at 00:00
John -- on a trip from Darwin to Melbourne it is unlikely that you will need to carry extra fuel, you are travelling a bitumen road with fuel supplies at many and various places, all of which you will not need to frequent..
As a Pom you won't need to carry water either as the mandatory wash on Friday, -- whether you need it or nor will not apply- the trip takes only 4 days !!

John
FollowupID: 337

Follow Up By: Joe - Wednesday, Oct 03, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2001 at 00:00
Cruel! Of course, John will also have some spare space in his fridge as he won't be keeping the beer in there either!

Joe
FollowupID: 338

Sponsored Links