Nissan SWB Diesel's

Submitted: Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 14:02
ThreadID: 4450 Views:2008 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am interested in buying a SWB manual diesel/turbo Patrol.I understand them to be very capable off road vehicles. I am open to suggestion's of any year model's, so i need someone with first hand knowledge to comment/help me with my choice - should i go for a turbo or normally aspirated type, which year model is the one to look out for, any sought of mechanical/body problems to be aware of etc.
Hope someone can help with my lack of knowledge about this vehicle.
My intention is to setup this vehicle for outback travel and rough tracks !
Cheers Guy's
Rod
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tristjo - Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 20:53

Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 20:53
Are you looking at MQ-MK Patrols (leaf springs, no widened guards), or GQ Patrols (coil springs, widened guards and track)???? If you are looking at GQ Patrols, the swb vehicles only ever came with a choice of 4.2 litre petrol or diesl motors, both naturally aspirated. The MQ's came with a 3.3ltr naturally aspirated, and 3.3 turbo diesel motors. If you are looking MQ, try to find a turbo one, as the n/a diesel is a bit slow. Just make sure it is well serviced. If you are looking at GQ's, you only have the 4.2ltr to choose from, but as far as i am concerned, these were the best diesel motors of their time. If you can afford it, go for a GQ, but you will be up for around 15k for a diesel, as they are hard to find, but that is money well spent. Whichever way you go, they are both great trucks, but i think the GQ is a bit tougher than the MQ. I am actually thinking of an MQ myself, as i am on a 5k budget, and for this i reckon i should be able to find something decent. Hope this has helped, post more questions if they arise, as it gives me somthing to do between offroad trips!!! Tristjo.
AnswerID: 17909

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 16:18

Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 16:18
Setups for outback and rough tracks are different.. You dont want 38's and 8 inch lift going down the Tanami! Also you would be better off with a LWB for outback travel than SWB.. You need to carry lots o crap with you going on a 4- 6 week trip.. Spares, bedding etc etc etc.. SWB are very short on rear space ...

As was said, GQs are the go, but dont come with Turbo standard. Lots of options on turbos, I run a Denco on mine and happy with the power increase. Colin here runs a supercharger on his TD42, and is happier!

theres heaps of threads on what to look for in GQ's in the archives.

MQ/MK are getting on now, and depending on your budget, goa GQ>
AnswerID: 17960

Follow Up By: Rod - Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 21:09

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 21:09
Thanks for the info guy's, my thinking was a short wheel base for better rampover on rough tracks together with a moderate lift plus the vehicle is a little lighter and more manouverable than a LWB. I was going to remove the rear seat and use this area for storage as i only intend travelling with my wife or a mate as passenger, depending on the type of trip. Would you know if the fuel tank capacities are the same in either vehicle.
Thanks for your reply's.
Rod.
FollowupID: 11316

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 21:21

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 21:21
Both as far as I remember have 95 ltr capacity. Just scored a LRTank for mine, 145ltr, you can also get belly/Aux tanks around 50 or 80ltr.

SWB's suffer on lifts of 3-4in or more with tail shaft vibrations... sounds weird, but some are ok, and some really SUCK. Know people chasing the shudder for weeks, new unis, tailshafts, double cardins, etc.. Still shakes rattles and rolls.. :( :( :((

Problem with setting up the shorty to suit 2 people is *IF* you do have a kid, you sell the shorty and start again.. Happened to a mate, he had a NICE GQ SWB... Now working on getting his LWB to the same point as the shorty was.. Its all $$..

It all depends on what you intend to do.. Sounds more like a weekend hack than a outback tourer, so SWB may suit you in the end.
FollowupID: 11318

Sponsored Links