100 series turbo front suspension lift

Submitted: Friday, Apr 18, 2003 at 20:31
ThreadID: 4454 Views:1771 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi can any one tell me how easy is it to adjust the front independent suspension to give a bit more travel on the latest 100 series cruiser
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Graeme- Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 19:51

Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 19:51
Hi Brad,
I suggest you go to your closest ARB agent who will be able to get approximately 75mm lift for you. ARB Artarmon did a lift on my 100 TD and including upgraded springs etc.
GD
AnswerID: 17935

Follow Up By: robbo - Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 21:02

Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 21:02
hi graeme
I have recently purchased new 100 TD and went to ARB for OME LTR shocks and heavy duty coils for rear. the maximum adjustment on the front was 30mm and 50mm on the back.
FollowupID: 11275

Follow Up By: JC - Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 21:39

Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 21:39
Hi Robbo
I have just seen your followup and you are dead right. By the way when I first wanted to modify my TD, ARB did not want to know about IFS Cruisers, I had to wait for ever for my front air locker.
John
FollowupID: 11280

Reply By: JC - Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 21:21

Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 21:21
Hi Brad,
I have a 100TD which I have now done over 40,000 k of off road. I would not lift the front 75mm if you intend to do serious off road travel. When the 100TD first came out I traded my 100 series petrol for the TD, there was little information available at that stage on alterations to the IFS Cruisers. TJM were keen to do some research, so 3 new TD cruisers were modified, My Cruiser, A TJM Cruiser and A Toyota Australia Cruiser driven by Ron Moon. A 4th TD Cruiser was also modified though different to our 4x4s. These vehicles were then driven from the East coast to the West coast and back across all the major deserts (and that is another great story).
The mods were:
Rear: 50mm lift on HD springs (heavy load) plus Poly air bags.
Front: Replace torsion bar with A 2mm larger bar and raise 50mm.
Shocks: Front and rear shochs replaced with Koni adjustables.
A lot of other mods were also made though do not relate to this reply.
By the time all 3 vehicles had reached Alice Springs not one of use had any front shocks remaining ( all vehicles had hit cattle grids and wash outs fairly hard, though this can be expected when travelling these roads) The main cause of the problem was the shocks topping out. All of the vehicles were dropped back to A 25mm lift and 2 were refitted with standard Toyota shocks and 1 was fitted with Bilsteins as had the 4th cruiser been fitted with from word go. On the return trip back across the Gun barrel we took out both the rear Koni's (800k back to Alice with no rear shocks is no fun!) When we arrive back in Alice all 4 shocks were replaced with Bilstein's. Coming back across the Simpson we found the car to have excesive rebound, but this was over come by reducing all air preasure from the air bags. With this set up we have been on many 4x4 outings and towed a Kimbley Camper to Cape York and back with no problems at all. I would surgest you lift the front only 25mm, the rear 50mm and fit springs to suit you load (no air bags). To crib that extra bit of height we also fitted 285 Cooper ST tyres and to over come the lack of suspension travel we fitted front and rear Air lockers. At present we are prepairing for out next trip which will be north to south down the Canning Stock Route (with camper, I'm getting a bit soft these days.) I hope this is of some help .

Regards.John.
AnswerID: 17976

Follow Up By: desert - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 10:56

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 10:56
JC, with all respect, please re-consider your want to take a camper along the Canning. There is an underlying political movement to have this track severly restricted or even closed altogether due to the damage being done to the dunes and inter-corridors, due to heavily laden trailers that causes severe bogging down of vehicles attempting the dunes. You must understand that the track is not like any other desert road, ie Anne Beadell or Connie Sue, etc,etc, it is a proper soft sand track over very tricky dunes in which a trailer only acts like a giant ground anchor. Think about others that want to follow behind you and do your bit to preserving this great trek so that we can all go back again. Leave the bloody trailer at Halls!
FollowupID: 11460

Reply By: Graeme- Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 20:48

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 20:48
I have never seen such a load of rubbish
1. I measured my vehicle before & after - 70mm front - for 30mm why would you bother
2. The Canning & other tracks are being spoilt by the idiots who do not know how to travel in sand ie; tyre pressures etc. A recent item on the net noted a tour group had several unsuccessful attempts at a sand dune until one sensible driver lowered tyre pressures from the 35 - 40 psi to about 15 psi, and went over with no problem. It is these inexperienced, inconsiderate idiots who are going to spoil our last frontiers. There is no evidence that trailers cause a problem.
3. I was advised that conversions are being done to lift 100 td series with stronger torsion bars, but because they are stiffer some vehicles are having problems with the mounts showing stress cracks.
AnswerID: 19295

Follow Up By: JC - Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 20:41

Wednesday, May 14, 2003 at 20:41
Graeme, You may think think it is a load of rubbish, I also measured my lift at 70mm at the start and yes your car will run all day on the black top and on mild off road but carry a spare set of shocks because when you hit a washout at 100K you will need them, three cars being pushed by very experenced drivers have proved the they will fail. Though I am the first to admit that the IFS is now starting to have a lot of research done, now we can basically only buy IFS Cruisers, so we can only hope that this lift problem will change in the near future.
Regards
JC
FollowupID: 12785

Reply By: Graeme- Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 10:56

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 10:56
JC, thanks for the note - my comment was directed at the comment re taking trailers on the CSR, I too am taking a Kimberley Kamper with two other offroad trailers around August. As to the IFS I am yet to be convinced of its benefits but I had Old Man Emu shocks fitted, so will see how they go. I had intended to take spare shocks and spare rear springs.We intend to take our time as I have learnt that having done charity car rallies for 16 years in cars like a 1962 'S' Valiant and a ZB Fairlane, that outback roads can be very unkind on suspensions if you push too hard. Both those vehicles were lifted approx 50mm, ( the Valiant has torsion bar suspension) but we have stronger springs, offroad shocks and never had any problems. I am not sure why you would have had problems with the shocks by lifting the car as they should have fitted longer travel shocks, which I had done and had to do to the two rally cars.Graeme.
AnswerID: 20106

Reply By: Brad - Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 16:59

Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 16:59
Hi every one, Just a few coments on the front suspenspension on my turbo cruiser, I owned a DSL 80 ser cruiser which I regret selling to buy my 100 series,unlike alot of people who buy these expensive 4wds I planned on using it in the bush,from the start it has got no front suspension travel compared to the live axle cruiser and why the f#ck should a bloke have to spend more money to fix the suspension after just forking out 75K, then when you put your camping gear in the thing the arse end saggs,great for when you need to drive through just your basic old creek bed, then even better when you have the big tough name ARB tow hitch fitted, which has the trailer light socket hanging out in the middle of no where which bends out the back with the first crossing,while Im having a bitch the other tough ARB product which is bleep is the whinch bull bar, looks pretty but is weak as bleep found that out the hard way with its first roo, one f#cked bullbar a side guard from from when the bullbar flexed back into the body of the car those new crumble zones for the airbags make the bullbar jump around even on the sealed roads whith all the flex in them.Ive always been a toyota man but it takes more than a great motor to keep me happy.
AnswerID: 20119

Sponsored Links