camping free in QUEENSLAND

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 09:06
ThreadID: 4456 Views:8985 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
HI, would like to hear from anyone who has heard about the overnight camping restrictions in QUEENSLAND, it is my understanding that overnight camping is not allowed any more. Other than staying in a caravan park. is this true, and how far from towns can you camp we are in a 4x4 and caravan. we look forward to bush camps to enjoy the quite and to help keep travelling cost down.
regards mich
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 11:11

Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 11:11
Mich there are books you can buy from camping stores that give you a run down on the spots to camp, in the past you could only stay overnight but theres a few you can stay for 48 hrs.
Also there is a book from book shops that cover the whole of Australia it also has maps to get you there.
All the best
EricCape York Connections
AnswerID: 17918

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 11:49

Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 11:49
Mich, the book that Eric is talking about is called Camps Australia Wide and cost us $39.95, they also have a web site www.campsaustraliawide.com
hope this helps Bruce
AnswerID: 17920

Reply By: Paul Cerefax - Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 17:46

Saturday, Apr 19, 2003 at 17:46
Mich there is an informative article explaining it in this months RACQ magazine Road Ahead. Now limited to 20 hours and 25k from a van park. Will not stop me camping where I like. Often park in the middle of the surburbs for the night. It is difficult for them to move on a road registered vehicle. If you are tired and having a rest they cannot force you to move on. They tried all this sort of garbage in Western Australia and it was a failure and to many small towns lost business. In WA now you just park where you like when you like, like you do everywhere else.
AnswerID: 17930

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff - Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 17:58

Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 17:58
Good on Ya Paul! Mich, go for it, camp where you like when you need a rest, the sooner the governments learn people are not going to be manipulated by their scummy laws the better. Especially when campers are clean and not a nuisance and don't have super extended gyspsy stays. We have a beautiful (supposed to be free) country yet to be seen by all and yet finance stops a lot of average income familys enjoying their home land. We have travelled down south, through the middle and back home through the top of Qld. and stayed in van parks now and then and yet stayed in rest areas and on the side of the road in our self contained van in between. We will make it more of a practice next time.
Have a splendid spendless carefree holiday. Geoff and Jen
FollowupID: 11271

Reply By: Flash - Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 20:59

Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 20:59
Can you imagine the cop who says in court "I told him to move On"
"He" then has an accident bcos hes tired (which he told the COP!!)
The COP would go to jail, the guy who moved on would not, I guarantee you!
GET Real....
the law sucks....
AnswerID: 17973

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff - Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 13:59

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 13:59
It sure does Flash! but what is worse, it is not for the safety of anyone, but for the filling of gold pockets to enable the take over freedom of our independance. The more they get the more they take. Geoff and Jen
FollowupID: 11304

Reply By: mich - Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 21:41

Sunday, Apr 20, 2003 at 21:41
THANK YOU for your replys, its great to see so many travellers out there with the same idea. we travelled to w.a last year and enjoyed camping overnight free and stayed in van parks also. we use both and enjoy the freedom camping brings not to mention the money side of things. with 3 children a night in a park can and has cost us up to $37.00 per night. this is very pricy. the camps australia wide book is worth its weight in gold. the 2nd edition hits the shops this week after easter i wll be picking it up this week. this is fully revised and updated on many of the overnight stops. thank you and happy travels.
regards mich
AnswerID: 17977

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff - Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 11:28

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 11:28
We live on a peaceful farm acreage and would love to have people who were travelling to pop in and stay while they checked out the beauty of the land we have around our area. BUT there is a few "what ifs" such as dishonest people, people ready to rip us off with insurance claims which government have made easy for the scum of the earth. So our friendliness and helpfulness have to stayed locked up in our own corner.
FollowupID: 11300

Follow Up By: David N. - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:13

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:13
I hear what you are saying Geoff-
There are "good samaritan" laws for such things as helping someone in trouble- don't know how it would apply if you allow somebody to camp on your land.
If the world gets so crazy that such a law suit would hold water then it would be time for a major revolt!
I agree the law sucks- though I would probably use other words like "the law is crazy!"
Most people are good. I still basically believe in human nature- I am not ready to slit my wrists YET!
FollowupID: 11333

Reply By: dougie - Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 21:09

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 21:09
I am not sure but I think there is a rule that lets you camop within < say 50 mtres of a river in Qld. But never the less Qld is still a bit wild and rules dont matter all that much, to locals they love visitors and hav ethe best rivers to syop on in aus. The further from Brisbane and the further inland the less problem. Pull in to the local and ask the man behind the jump you will get 10 good sites close to town
AnswerID: 18040

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 19:50

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 19:50
You are spot on Dougie! We live 4-5 hours north of Brisbane and then North west of Bundy near the Kolan river. It has some lovely spots to camp so it would be great if your theory is correct with the 50 metre thing. Maybe it is a Dept of Natural Resources issue and nothing to do with Dept of Transport. Worth checking out anyway. Good thought.
FollowupID: 11371

Sponsored Links