roof pod

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 28, 2007 at 08:45
ThreadID: 44817 Views:5574 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys, I'm intending to buy a roof pod (roof box) for my subaru impreza ... I found some very inexpensive box (unknow name) ... and also some very expansive solutions ... I know: "you got what you pay" but I'm very interessend on some comment about roof pods ...
Thanks and have a good weekend!

Luca
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Apr 28, 2007 at 09:50

Saturday, Apr 28, 2007 at 09:50
If you put a strap around them, the cheap ones are fine!
AnswerID: 236357

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Saturday, Apr 28, 2007 at 11:31

Saturday, Apr 28, 2007 at 11:31
I had a look at the Rhino ones the other day and they have no dust seal on them . The salesman assured me they were dustproof and I laughed at him - he got a bit upset .

I would not consider any hard pod without a seals , for outback travel . I would go for one of the many good quality canvas models on offer.

Cheers ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 236380

Follow Up By: demented - Saturday, Apr 28, 2007 at 17:11

Saturday, Apr 28, 2007 at 17:11
Willie,

I've got one of the larger (double width 1500mm) Rhino ones, and can back you on that. Didn't really think about the seal at the time as it was a last minute purchase to deal with change in what we were carrying.

Thankfully we only carry the swag and self-inflating mattress in it, cause when we hit a massive storm 1hr from home we found it wasn't water proof. Not much water got in (just a few ml), but it was enough to make us rethink what we could put in it in the future.

Cheers,

Demented
FollowupID: 497508

Reply By: Mark Taylor - Saturday, Apr 28, 2007 at 12:52

Saturday, Apr 28, 2007 at 12:52
Well.. we've just come back from a 3300 km trip to outback QLD with a Thule Ocean 100 on the top of the Disco 3.

We did a lot of dirt roads and found that 2/3 of 4/5 of SFA dirt got into it. In fact it was almost spotless inside compared to the car.

While it doesn't have seals as such, it does have large curved surface areas where the top and bottom of the box meets when it closes. It is rated to 130 Km/h but SWMBO had the truck up to 150 passing a line of road trains between Longreach and Barcaldine with no apparent ill effects. In fact, you wouldn't know that the thing is up there.... just use the internal tie down points to secure yourt load to stop it shifting in corners etc.

Cheers

Mark Taylor
AnswerID: 236392

Follow Up By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 28, 2007 at 20:24

Saturday, Apr 28, 2007 at 20:24
Second that...

We also have a Thule (Polar 200) which was on our Outback and now sits on our Patrol.

Last year Innamincka and Coongie via Louth and Wanaaring and no dust in it at all.

This year torrential storms around the NSW Central Coast and no water in either.

Can recommend them!
FollowupID: 497563

Reply By: Dodgin & Weavin - Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 13:47

Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 13:47
We bought a Thule roof box back in 2003. Since then its been on top for about 15 months travel in total. Including lots of very rough and remote stuff. It cracked around where the bolts attached it to the roof racks after about 3 months travel thru the Centre, Top End, Gulf and half of Cape York but it was overloaded big time. We don't overload it anymore. Back home we got 2 aluminium plate strips to run the length of each side of the pod where it bolts on and bent it up the side to under the lip. We riveted and silisec'ed in on. No problems since.

Last trip, Cape York again, it has started to crack around the lock. Will fix it the same way.

Somewhere along the way one of the stays to hold the lid open broke. I have to put it back on every time I open it. Fixable but been to slack to do it.

Bare in mind that I think we have taken it way beyond it's design limits. It's probably done pretty well considering. And it's still going.

It is water proof. A tiny bit of dust gets in but unless you're a fussy bugger its not enough to be an issue.They are also very convenient and easy to use.

Would I buy another one?

I don't know. For the type of travel we do I'd probably try something else.

Cheers

Dodgin

AnswerID: 236595

Sponsored Links