advice - which camper for a family of 6!

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 13:30
ThreadID: 44868 Views:3156 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I would appreciate any advice from experienced campers as to which camper would suit us best. Some background follows:

We would like to take the family to the tip of Cape York from Melbourne for about 6-8 weeks. We have 2 teenagers & 2 younger kids. We have a 100 series Landcruiser. We are thinking the best thing is to buy a camper van for adults to sleep in and a tent for most of the kids, hopefully then everyone has a little of their own space when we stop for a longer breaks. This is important as my wife reckons the kids will drive me crazy & is not as enthusiastic as me! We also think the van needs to be real a offroader, strong & good resale.

I have looked around a reasonable amount but not sure there is a right solution for us yet. I like the TVan but think it only has a very small & wonder how to cook for 6 on that and also where do people put all their food on that model, isnt it painful unloading everything from the bed each time you stop?

Any recommendations/advice would be appreciated

I am really looking forward to seeing this part of Aus

thanks

David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 14:02

Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 14:02
Hey David
4 Kids!!!
1st advise would be to get a vasectomy or buy a TV :))))))))
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 236601

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 14:12

Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 14:12
On a more serious note ::)
We have just ordered a Tvan, you could put the two young kids in bunks on one side of the floor in the fold down section(not sure if you have seen these at the camping shops?)this would still allow you use 1 door without climbing over people, the older kids in a tent. Food can be stored under the bed in correct size plastic containers. Hired a Tvan and it was great to tow and good in extreme off road conditions too.
Cheers Lyndon

AnswerID: 236606

Follow Up By: davidjo - Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 15:44

Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 15:44
Lyndon
....have now got a tv but wouldnt mind a fifth!
thanks for your note
I realised that in my original post i was trying to say the Tvan had a small cooktop but it got deleted. Do you know if they have optional cooktop variants? What Tvan model did you get & what options & where did you get it from? I see Bensons in Adelaide have some on the floor? Did you have any luck on price negotiation!?
Cheers
FollowupID: 497697

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 22:32

Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 22:32
Hi David
From reading the following posts, it's like everything, what suits 1 doesn't fit another. What i don't like is most camper trailers are just a big tent on wheels. My nephew sets up his own tent rather than join in the debacle of setting up his dads c'trailer. Unless REALLY pressed,as said 4 in the Tvan, 2 in the tent.
Price, ours $37500, Canning. Extra water tank, Duel 100amp gellcell batts, queen size bed ext,bed tie downs,wheels & tyres to match our vehicle,bed ext altered so a 40ltr engle fits at the bottom of the bed.Kitchen is how it comes. A few other mods as well.
Can you hire one?, if so do it just to convince yourself!!!.
Any other info just ask!
Cheers Lyndon

FollowupID: 497823

Reply By: 1arm - Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 15:58

Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 15:58
David

I did a trip from Perth to Canberra and back with a family of 6.
We have a older style camprite which the adults and the baby used and a tent for the other 3 kids.
We found this to be a good set up as there was separation from the kids. They had swags so if we only stopped for a night they didnt even set up the tent and just slept outside.
This had a small 2 burner gas stove and we didnt have any problems with the cooking at all.
I cant comment on what type of van would be best other than to say your idea of a van and tent worked for us when we travelled.
Evan
AnswerID: 236630

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 18:19

Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 18:19
Hi David,

Take a look at the Camprite. It has 1 double and 2 single beds standard and the 2 single can be bunks as an option. This sleeps 6 people off the ground and would be ideal for 6 IMHO. Check out their website, they are a site sponsor.
Camprite Campers
Cheers

Captain

PS. No affiliation, just a happy Camprite owner
AnswerID: 236663

Reply By: marcus - Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 18:32

Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 18:32
Davidjo,
The camprite is a very well built and strong unit but i reckon with six people you need plenty of room so i would recommend the Trak Shak camper.
Cheers Mark
AnswerID: 236666

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 20:21

Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 20:21
You need something big with that many kids. I wouldn't try having that many in a T-Van. Try a Track Shack.
AnswerID: 236711

Reply By: fishaholic - Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 20:53

Sunday, Apr 29, 2007 at 20:53
Hey David,
We too have four kids, boys for that matter, anyway I would recomend a trak shack camper. We have a yorke peninsula spirit camper, this is fine but alot of the time a couple of the kids sleep in tents. Also our kids are still only small, so in years to come they will probably not all fit on the floor in the camper for overnighters. Friends of ours have 5 kids and have a trak shack, its like a #$#% house on wheels, the first time I saw it set up it was like a transformer, everytime i turned around another room was added or erected. Fully recomend them.
Crawf
AnswerID: 236724

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Monday, Apr 30, 2007 at 06:26

Monday, Apr 30, 2007 at 06:26
I love my spirit. Best value for $ around.
FollowupID: 497840

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Monday, Apr 30, 2007 at 09:46

Monday, Apr 30, 2007 at 09:46
Get a Trak Shak ,,,
Tough , rugged ,, and heaps of room ,,
Will go anywhere

Cheers
Bucky
ps... on my profile
AnswerID: 236809

Reply By: Kevern - Monday, Apr 30, 2007 at 14:56

Monday, Apr 30, 2007 at 14:56
We own a TVan but wouldn't recommend it for six have you looked at Coota campers. www.cootacampers.com.au they are big. also you could go to campertrailers.org great site for just this problem.
AnswerID: 236853

Sponsored Links