after market turbos

Submitted: Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 21:30
ThreadID: 4495 Views:1668 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Im looking at buying a 92 diesel patrol with an after market turbo. The problem is this turbo is leaking oil and was wondering if this would lead to big dollars having to be spent. Any ideas would be appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: michael - Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 21:47

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 21:47
kev, I'd advise you buy a low/moderate Kms. pre '93 td42 non turbo and choose aftermarket turbo to have fitted. That way I believe would be safer as far as history goes.
AnswerID: 18047

Follow Up By: CHRIS - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 13:23

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 13:23
Before you start blaming the Turbo check to see whether the Turbo is sucking oil from the rocker cover into the unit and then leaking out the bottom. This is quite common with a bit of blow by. Pull the hose off the inlet side and see if there is oil in it. Some model Pajero's turbo diesels have been known to empty the sump this way.
FollowupID: 11338

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 22:30

Monday, Apr 21, 2003 at 22:30
Get an RACV/NRMA/RAQ inspection done on it

they will tell you if its rooted..
personally, I would be hesitant to buy something with oil leaks...... Turbo kits are $3000+ to buy, repairs will be under that, with turbo reco kits around $400-800 + ftting and anything else that needs doing.

How much is the car costing? what model ST Ti etc? and what extras does the car come with? Klms etc..

Checked underneath for scratches and dents to show its hard offroad life is another thing..
AnswerID: 18048

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 07:33

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 07:33
I wouldnt buy it.........._____________________________________________
Countin the days till July 5th. *Cape York Trip*

Reply By: colin - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:20

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:20
look at buying a non turbo td42, 92 to 94 ( better pistons ) and fit a super charger you will get more than a turbo can ever acheive, i did and couldnt be happier. Col
AnswerID: 18082

Follow Up By: simon - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:46

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:46
check this site out if you like
www.airpowersystems.com.au
They have done a extensive comparison between a turbo, turbo int and supercharger all from the same company using GQ patrols as the test beds.
I think the artical was called air force or something like that.
Read the results you will be suprised about the performce level of a so called supercharger.
Put it this way i am bias and will stick with my turbo int, but it not a bad read.

Food for thought

FollowupID: 11395

Follow Up By: colin - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 10:27

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 10:27
Hi Simon, yes you are bias and i would also say you have never driven a super charged diesal. I have driven both on and off the black top towing and without and the turbo had nothing on the S/C, also a turbo is not servicable where as a S/C is, when a turbo blows up thats it no more driving, where a S/C goes take the belt off and keep driving. Have just done a trip up the CREB track FNQ towing a camper all up about 3 half tonnes some of the hills where steep and the patrol went down to 800 revs and kept on pulling try that on a turbo and the fuel consumption compared to a tojo naturally aspired diesal without a trailer, i got about 25 ks less for the same miles for the same litres. I have had several people who where looking at fitting a turbo to there Patrol take my vehicle for a drive and now will be fitting a S/C as they all said the turbo had nothing on my set up. Also you can keep the extractors which you cant on a turbo. Find a vehicle with a S/C take it for a drive and i will quarantee you will be very surprised. Some of these tests companys do are on dynos which dont always give the true benefits to a vehicle set up. Col
FollowupID: 11398

Follow Up By: colin - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 11:27

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 11:27
Simon just checked that web site and the comparison was on the 4.5l petrol not the diesal as mine is and my S/C puts out 8psi at idle and right through the rev range. Col
FollowupID: 11406

Sponsored Links