RECENT FIRES-VICTORIA

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:14
ThreadID: 4502 Views:1326 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
just been up around Bright(Vic) - the fires around here were fierce - but the beauty of seeing nature at work repairing the damage is fantastic.
Buckland Valley - pretty burnt on the hills - but the camping spots on the river are ok - MtBuffalo is like a bomb has hit - no undergrowth at all - hill and gully one after the other - just burnt out - but the ferns are coming back - black trees sprouting green shoots up their length and at the root - a sort of macabre beauty - a credit to the brave firefighters and other people who fought this inferno - looking up from Harrietville at the alps - whole mountains just burnt out - there is no way these fires could have been put out by man - nature needed to lend a hand, which she did, much to everyones relief. Go and have a look for yourself - check out the photo gallery at the Bright Fire Station - incredible stuff!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David N. - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:44

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:44
Yes, thank goodness for nature...
I was at Girraween (QLD) over Easter and found the same there (Girraween has had longer now to recover than down south but equally bad fires.)
BUT I get so upset when I hear of many fires being intenionally lit, and also smokers butts etc.
VERY few fires are lit without humans!

AnswerID: 18084

Follow Up By: Stewy - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 13:47

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 13:47
I beg to differ on fires, fires are very much part of the Australian eco system, the arrival of humans in Aust bought fire as a tool, and changed our eco system to the point that much of a flora are dependant on fire as part of its life cycle. It is just us stupid white people who have come along and decided to set up shop in fire prone areas. I grew up on a cattle property and we burnt off every couple of years to reduce the under growth and the intensity of fires. All our unplanned fires came from accidents(welding etc) or lighting, but most were lighting. If the big lights spent more time on hazard reduction and less on worring about the smoke the fire bugs would not be able to get their jollies so easierly. On of the first things Capt Cook discovered was the smoke from fires in 1770 on his cruise up the coast.
FollowupID: 11341

Follow Up By: ptcrowe - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 22:41

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 22:41
David while i agree that some fires are deliberatley lit the majority of vic bush fires in the alpine region this year were due to lightning strikes. I was up in the area over easter with the four wheel drive victoria rally for the bush and we were given a talk by the local bloke from the dept of primary industries at Mita Mita, also displayed were a couple of photos showing over 20 seperate lighting strikes in the area. I,d just like to add that the area is still a beutiful place to visit evenif a little black at the moment but don't be scared to get up there and spend a few dollars to help out the small communities who rely heavily on tourism.
FollowupID: 11387

Reply By: Pathy33 - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 15:07

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 15:07
I go along with what jules said about the fires around the Bright/Mt.Buffalo
areas,I was up there 2 weeks ago and it amazing seeing the regrowth,it is well worth the drive up to these areas to see it for yourselves,and to support the local businesses
AnswerID: 18098

Reply By: BAZZA - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 21:32

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 21:32
g'day 4wheelers - go tell it on the mountains - tell everyone - Bright is brighter than ever - trees/ferns all shooting - the skylines in the distance are a sight- not too be missed. fantastic view of fires from Mt buffalo. down the Buckland for a close-up view fires. tracks 'tween Wandi&Harrietville (Wetgully tk - Cavalier spur tk and u r in the middle it). am told tracks open. come one come all but dont forget OUR "FIRE PICS GALLERY at the Station........Fireman bazza
AnswerID: 18230

Reply By: twandy - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 23:08

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 23:08
Can only reiterate those encouraging everyone to go and look. We have been regulars up in the High Country for 10 years (in fact we go every couple of weeks) and we were there the morning the first fire went through our area and went back a couple of hours after the second fire. I have taken photographs of before the fire, during, after (every couple of weeks) and it is amazing. Last weekend we did a 5 hour walk to places we previously could not reach due to blackberries and undergrowth. It is so lovely and we know if we don't do more in the next year it will be overgrown again. The blackberries have already started together with the ferns etc. Glad to see all the 4x4s in Omeo at the weekend.
AnswerID: 18762

Sponsored Links