Jeep Cherokee set on fire by water bottle

Submitted: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 20:18
ThreadID: 45026 Views:4321 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Recent report on TV One (NZ) show Fair Go tells the story of water bottles starting fires - in this case in a Jeep Cherokee. Check the link, watch the video (3 episodes) pretty much self explanatory. Anyone that continues to carry water in clear plastic bottles that are exposed to the sun run the risk of a fire starting on anything the suns rays are focused through the water in the bottle. Link Yes there are reported cases of it happening in Australia as well.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 20:32

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 20:32
Every tour I buy the clients a water bottle, I place it on the seat before I pick them up.

This practice has just stopped.

That was incredible.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 237508

Follow Up By: Blaze - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 23:49

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 23:49
Totally agree pretty amazing stuff...

I guess I have an easy personel answer though, I will only put drink bottles with Scotch & Cola in my vehicle from now on. hehehe
FollowupID: 498613

Reply By: Vince NSW - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 20:33

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 20:33
This sounds like all the tails of bushfires starting from broken glass.
AnswerID: 237512

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (SA) - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 20:40

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 20:40
Well that is simple, remove the drink holders or when you use a drink holder have a hugh sign drop down warning you about the danger.

Problen solved

Not another warning sign.....sign sign everywhere a sign......they were right.

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 237515

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (SA) - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 20:41

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 20:41
It must be a Jeep thing, check out my post 45017.

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 237518

Reply By: obee - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 20:45

Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 20:45
I better start carrying one in case I run out of matches

Owen
AnswerID: 237521

Reply By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 00:18

Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 00:18
Hi, DIO ..............

Just to add to your story ..... many years ago I used to sail a small trailer sailer on the Gippsland Lakes in VIC.

Launched the boat, parked the car [I was a Holden Station Wagon man in them days !!] and set sail, with me Beagle, for my favourite camping spot on Bunga Arm. Halfway across the paddock found I had left something important behind [my bottle of port !] and went back for it.

Got back to the car and casually glanced in the rear window just in time to see a wisp of smoke curl up from my loosely rolled JAPARA oilskin. The smoke rapidly grew in intensity within SECONDS, literally while I was trying to believe my eyes. Managed to fumble quickly for the keys, got the tailgate open and grabbed the nearly aflame oilskin and doused it outside, all the while clenching the buttocks, [the quivering buttocks, that is !!] tight .

Quickly located the cause, though .......... nice sunny day, sun shining through the large rear window, directly into the lens of my BIG JIM torch [the old and large 6volt BIG JIM !!] which then re-focussed and refracted [???] the beam into a fine point directly onto my oilskin ........... what a perfect fuel !!!

It was possibly only nano-seconds from a raging fire, subsequent explosion and absolutely no evidence left of what caused the fire !!! To say nothing about my reaction when I returned from my week up the Bunga !!

I have no doubt that ANY torch with a silver lens could do the same thing .........
BE AWARE !!

And ALWAYS GO BACK FOR YOUR PORT, even iffen you can't spare the time .........

AnswerID: 237583

Follow Up By: Nifty1 - Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 08:48

Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 08:48
Aaah, Bunga Arm for a week in a trailer sailer... pure nostalgia. Over the 30-odd years we have been going there it has not changed much at all, despite the crowds.
FollowupID: 498650

Reply By: traveller2 - Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 08:22

Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 08:22
Years ago when Gameboys first came out friends young bloke was sitting playing it in camp. It had a magnifying thingy which enabled you to see the screen clearly and he had flipped it back out of the way but the sunlight was shining through it and set fire to his T shirt. He was so intent on the game that he didn't notice until the flames started.
Another one was in the wifes quilting group one of the ladies fell asleep in her chair in the sunroom and the magnifying glass she had looped around her kneck set fire to her quilt. Woke up to find the quilt well alight!
AnswerID: 237601

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 08:30

Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 08:30
I'm impressed by the video. Who would have though of water starting fires!

Fortunately the Heritage Listed Paj does not have cup holders!

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 237605

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 09:05

Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 09:05
Yeah Pete, but your Coke bottle glasses might. Heaven knows what sunlight through a colostomy bag might do.

Matt.
FollowupID: 498656

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 13:25

Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 13:25
Matt,

When we are packed for a trip there is no room for the sun to come through any window except the front screen!

Anyway, we carry enough explosive stuff in the back (Coleman cylinders, gas bottle, 2 stroke for the chainsaw, petrol for the stove and lantern, other lubricants etc) that if we do get a little smoldering fire like the one in the video it wont muck about at that stage - it will quickly become what Dell referred to in their battery recall as a "run-away exothermic reaction"

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 498704

Reply By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 20:01

Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 20:01
Amazing - makes you think about carrying water bottles in any car - not only the one mentioned with the drink holders - how many of us just throw them on the seat or on the rear parcel shelf in sedans -
jules
AnswerID: 237739

Sponsored Links