Eu10 12 volt outlet running waeco fridge

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:37
ThreadID: 4503 Views:2571 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I have just bought a new Honda Eu 10 Geni, I was told you can run your 12 volt fridge from the 12 volt socket, if true it means I wont have to use that bleep ty little black box which has failed twice on my waeco to invert the power from 240 to 12 volt, has any one tried this if so drop us a line.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dougie - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 17:32

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 17:32
I think you can only charge 12v with the honda , not run something??
My little black box is 3 years old and melted but still works a treat.
Get "into" them at waeco, they should fix it. I had a lot of trouble first up with my waeco but now I would not change it.
I also havve a honda and run 2 small 240 volt workshop lights as well as my computor. long term you will save heaps on gas batteries and every thing else consumable if you go to 240 volt, and use 2 litres of fuel a day. Your running it anyway get the most out of it. all these run on the low idle setting.
AnswerID: 18108

Reply By: JC - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 19:16

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2003 at 19:16
Brad
Don't run you fridge directly from the generator. Couple the fridge to a 12 volt battery and charge the battery at the same time. This will prevent any high currents or surges damageing the generator
regards John
AnswerID: 18118

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:41

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 09:41
Brad,

JC has got it right. Connect another battery in parralell to the generator so that you charge the battery while running the fridge off the battery.
I picked up a fact sheet the other day and this is what Waeco recomend.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 18163

Reply By: Flash - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 10:48

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 10:48
Also, if you run your generator for TOO long at low power they glaze the bore and then oil gets past (smoke, dirty plug etc.)
A mate had one do this and Honda wouldnt fix it on warranty
Make sure it works hard regularly.
AnswerID: 18173

Reply By: paul - Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 21:47

Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 21:47
Aaaagh. If you get a lead acid deep cycle or starting battery and run the EU onto the 12v battery and the fridge off the battery then in a day you will cook the battery into complete breakdown. Reason is cause the waeco on non-turbo will use about 3.5 amps, the EU (i owned one) will pump in unregulated 8 amps per hour, this will cause your battery to acid to boil and cause the breakdown of your battery. Don't do it.

Solution is to run the fridge off the battery, each day at the beginning or end use the EU to recharge the battery. So you don't overcharge it the solution is to solder in between the EU pos and -ve connections and the battery a 12v charge regulator which will cut out the charge at say 14.2v which will mean the battery is fully recharged and you can do the same each day. You can buy charge controllers from Jaycar, Dick Smith or a number of internet sites. It really pi@@ed me off that Honda never bother to utilise such an essential device in the EU series.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 18430

Sponsored Links