Response to LR articles - Sept 02.

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 12:28
ThreadID: 4522 Views:1683 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Comment not question. I was looking up some info for my Landrover Defender TD5 on the net when I spied the debate from late last year that had been posted there about the Landies strengths and weaknesses. WHAT A BLOODY RIPPER!!

I've no wish to re-new the topic but found the bias, opinions, facts, half facts, technical data, inference and sheer enthusiasm compelling reading. Take a look if your a LR owner (or secretly wish you were). A bit of biffo. Good stuff.

Mike.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 13:23

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 13:23
Where was the debate published ?
AnswerID: 18176

Follow Up By: miker - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 13:56

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 13:56
Peter,

It was in the Landrover section (web) and posted by ExplorOz. Archives on this site will track it down. It's titled "Why do Landrovers breakdown?" (or similar)

Mike.
FollowupID: 11411

Reply By: Alan H - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 11:37

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 11:37
Thanks for reminding me about that forum Mike. As the owner of a 300 Tdi Discovery for 5 years with very few probs. I found some of the comments hilarious. Talk about prejudice!
I posted a question early this year for owners experience of the Td5 Defender and got an enthusiastic response, so I bought one.
It's a bit strange and archaic in a lot of ways but the family all likes it and although it's hardly run in and hasn't been in the dirt yet, I've had no probs. But have found a couple of small things that will be fixed under warranty.
Before my purchase I also saw comments in an LR mag. about the ECU from a bloke that runs a hire company in the East (NSW I think) and he said he'd had no problems at all and he runs 10 Td5 Defenders.
We all know how hire vehicles drivers treat them so I'd reckon that's a pretty good testimony of the vehicle all round.
Some contributors to that forum complained of low prices offered when trading in on new vehicles.
I refused to sell mine to Southern LR because of that, (still got it) shopped around the country dealers for the best price on the new vehicle, and they beat the main dealers by thousands!
And the poor salesman employed by the main dealer reckoned I was unprincipled for shopping his price around.
Unprincipled!!!!! Can anyone believe that from a car salesman!
Any one want a good 300 Tdi auto?
AnswerID: 18276

Reply By: Alan H - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 11:41

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 11:41
Thanks for reminding me about that forum Mike. As the owner of a 300 Tdi Discovery for 5 years with very few probs. I found some of the comments hilarious. Talk about prejudice!
I posted a question early this year for owners experience of the Td5 Defender and got an enthusiastic response, so I bought one.
It's a bit strange and archaic in a lot of ways but the family all likes it and although it's hardly run in and hasn't been in the dirt yet, I've had no probs. But have found a couple of small things that will be fixed under warranty.
Before my purchase I also saw comments in an LR mag. about the ECU from a bloke that runs a hire company in the East (NSW I think) and he said he'd had no problems at all and he runs 10 Td5 Defenders.
We all know how hire vehicles drivers treat them, so I'd reckon that's a pretty good testimony all round of the vehicle.
Some contributors to that forum complained of low prices offered when trading in on new vehicles.
I refused to sell mine (still got it, For Sale to a good home) to Southern LR because of that, shopped around the country dealers for the best price on the new vehicle, and they beat the main dealers by thousands!
And the poor salesman employed by the main dealer reckoned I was unprincipled for shopping his price around.
Unprincipled!!!!! Can anyone believe that from a car salesman!
Any one want a good 300 Tdi auto?
AnswerID: 18278

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 16:10

Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 16:10
HAD TO LAUGH I passed a number of LR in a convoy about a week ago in the bush they had one TOYOTA with them I was told that it was their recovery unitBorn to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 18342

Reply By: Old Jack - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 15:32

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 15:32
Some of the people writing need to seek Counciling, not justy the LR owners! Having owned a 1974 short wheel base 4cylinder for many years
I have tanken great pleasure in going everywhere the bigger Lc & patrols went, perhaps slower most times but it did the job. have seen all types of 4WD brocken down & bogged no matter what brand or model they can all breakdown, Never knew why they jumped up in th toyota adds until I spent a weekend getting a Long wheelbase troopy out of a track in the Myall river state forest(Gearbox shagged output shaft). the owener of which never made a smart remark about it ever being slow after I towed it fully loaded from Deep Creek to Charlestown. yes the old LR are wired up by lucas the prince of darkness! only time I ever had soemthing break was on the road not off road (back Axle) mind you the LR used to belong to Some goverment department that like the Colour Orange!
Strangley no one asked why even the Americans even had LR for there armed services?

something to do with being able to drop them out of the back of a plane & still be able to Drive them!

AnswerID: 18599

Sponsored Links