camper trailers & fridges

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 15:26
ThreadID: 4525 Views:2302 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have just puchased a Cub offroad escape, and have pretty much decided on buying an eva-cool fridge thanks to research on forum archives. I would like opinions on mounting on the drawbar in one of those dust proof boxs.Does anyone know were I can get a box built, will the fridge be ok on D.B. I am towing with a 94 xtra cab hilux , turbo diesel, tray back, so the ride in back wouldn't be smooth anyway. planning trips into outback roads and out of the way places, but not Cape York just yet.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 15:59

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 15:59
Athol,

Go to a sheet metal shop, and get them to make it out of that aluminium chequer plate. Will be expensive? but light and look like the duck's nuts. If it's going to be dust proof, it will be airtight too, so how's the fridge going to breathe? Will leave that part up to the experienced vanies.
Hooroo...
AnswerID: 18186

Follow Up By: William - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 22:29

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 22:29
Dust and heat the two biggest enemies of fridges.

Never considered running a fridge on the A frame and what would be the all round best, easiest and cheapest solution. Interesting to work out of the conduction of the aluminium would be sufficient to exchange the heat. Colorbond would probably be a better option, and substantially cheaper.
FollowupID: 11446

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 12:56

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 12:56
Athol, I was at the Camping and Outdoor show in Sydney yesterday looking at all the camper trailers (pinching ideas and tricks to use on my trailer). Quite a few of the higher spec (read "higher cost") trailers had eskies/fridges mounted in boxes on the drawbar. Two major drawbacks I noticed with this location is that they would be impossible to lift out of the box when full, to relocate the fridge into the annex (who wants to keep going out in the rain to get to the fridge?) and most of them were awkward to comfortably reach the contents of the fridge requiring walking around to the other side of the trailer to access that end of the fridge.

Kimberly trailers solved the first problem by having the annex roof extend in an "L" shape so it also covered the drawbar and the annex walls included this space as part of the "enclosed annex" area. None of the other manufacturers that we looked at did that.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 18585

Sponsored Links