dual wheel carrier

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 17:56
ThreadID: 4527 Views:2275 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
i would like to puchase a dual wheel carrier for my gu patrol
where in perth area is the best place to go are kamar the only brands available and what sort of price can i expect ? i have looked at ARB but they are rather expensive
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 18:42

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 18:42
They are all around the same price, please dont expect Kaymar to be cheap, it was $1500+ for my GQ.

Opposite lock have a rear carrier too. No idea on price. But I hear they are the same.

its a clicky market, so Im thinkin they are all going to be the sameish price, give or take $100.
AnswerID: 18205

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 21:18

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 21:18
Opposite Lock was about $1800 when I looked at them.
ARB have one also but not with gas struts like OL's.
K & N Fabrications make one for us Sandgropers too but I have no idea on price. Again no gas struts either.
Opposite Lock is a full rear bar replacement and will require upgraded suspension to cover extra weight so look at that before proceeding any further.
I went for the single and regret it big time now.
AnswerID: 18228

Reply By: Brian - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 22:18

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 22:18
I looked at it briefly a month or so ago for my 2001 gu at ARB $3000ish . It needs a new rear bumper as the OE is not strong enough, (plastic never is). I will have to wait a while.
Brian
AnswerID: 18237

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 23:14

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2003 at 23:14
Talking to a mate on ICQ at the moment, he worked for Kaymar yrs ago, he said that the swing-wheel carrier part costs less than $50 to make! They charge $400 I think it was.

He made his own rear bar for his GQ...

$1800 + suspension upgrade + this ... are they realistic????

Would be cheaper to do a welding course at TAFE, and make your own as your project in class, get the teacher to help you make it!!!!
AnswerID: 18246

Reply By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 02:07

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 02:07
Hi theratt,
I think Allyn hit the nail on the head. I'm 95% sure that my twin rear carriers were from K & N Fabrications (south of the river?). They are of excellent quality. I've had them since Jan 2000 and they still open and shut smoothly with no rattling etc. They include a completely new rear step with a cheque plate that also serves as a dining table - joke but it is a tad larger then kaymar's. They also incorporate "truck" wheel bearings as the hinges with grease nipples built in (I only grease twice a year). I got mine through ARB Wangara and they must have a good rep as the two of the sales blokes there have them - this is the manager included who is supposed to be flogging off Kaymar. The price of mine were exactly $1600 after knocking it down about $100. Hopefully, the company have not let it gone to their head with the old profiteer thing.
RegardsLove the bush.
Chris
AnswerID: 18253

Reply By: Chin Kwong - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 03:00

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 03:00
I have the OL dual wheel carrier fitted to my GU for about one year. I am very happy with it. Done lots of off road driiving, including 2 months in the outback .. Simpson desert, Birdsville track etc, no problem. You will need new rear suspension regardless which dual carrier you choose.
AnswerID: 18466

Sponsored Links