Landcruiser Tyres for long trip

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 10, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 454 Views:2937 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My Wife and I are about to head off around Oz for an extended trip of at least a year. Does anyone have any suggestions on what tyres we should go for? I have been thinking of Coopers A/T or BF Goodrich A/T. They are to suit split rims, size 7.50R16.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 10, 2001 at 00:00
Paul,

This is a hot and contentious subject with many different views, so be prepared for lots of responses with differing views.

For my part, I am very impressed with the Bridgestone Dueller D693s that I have fitted and would recommend them to anyone who is targetting touring work. If you were looking at real off road ability (as opposed to road and rough track ability) then I would look at something more aggressive.

Your choices of BFG or Coopers will also do you proud. Get them in LT construction though. BFGs are not the best wearing tyres, but will see you round Australia comfortably.

Enjoy the trip.
Joe
AnswerID: 1191

Reply By: Linda - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2001 at 00:00

Hi Paul, Suggest you do a Search at the top of the Forum as you'd be surprised how many questions have been posted on tyres (over 6 questions/responses on Coopers alone)! Might help with your selection. Good luck and enjoy your trip. Regards, Linda - ExplorOz team
AnswerID: 1192

Follow Up By: Paul Harrison - Sunday, Oct 14, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 14, 2001 at 00:00
Thanks Linda,
I have now read through all of these and though better informed, I am probably more confused!! Can you tell me what tyres David & Michelle used on their troopy on their big trip?
Thanks
FollowupID: 353

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Oct 10, 2001 at 00:00

Paul, I use Cooper ST's on my LC80. 235x85x16 on split rims and have had great success with them so far. Previous tyres were Dunlop Roadgrippers 750x16. The Coppers have better grip both wet and dry on sealed roads, seem to give better performance in the rough stuff and I haven't suffered any punctures yet - touch wood! And great wearing. May be just a touch noisier, not real sure as tyre noise has never been an issue with me. They are more aggressive than the Dunlops. Have a great trip.
AnswerID: 1196

Reply By: Nigel - Friday, Oct 12, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 12, 2001 at 00:00
I have nothing against Coopers but you may like to keep in mind that they can be hard to get a hold of a replacement tyre should you damage one away from the cities. If you have a couple of spares you should be ok till you get back to civilisation. In North Queensland Coopers are only stocked in Townsville and Cairns, most towns have to order them in if needed.
AnswerID: 1206

Follow Up By: Paul Harrison - Sunday, Oct 14, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 14, 2001 at 00:00
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Nigel, I was thinking of just such a problem with replacement tyres in out of the way places as you mentioned. I am currently leaning towards the BF Goodrich All Terrains as it should be easier to replace if needed and seems to be similar in performance to the Coopers. I have also been warned that 10 ply tyres (the Cooper) can be a bit hard sometimes, especially in sand, and have been advised to go for an 8 ply. I will check the ply of BF Goodrich and then decide.
Thanks again for everyones help
FollowupID: 352

Reply By: John - Monday, Oct 29, 2001 at 01:00

Monday, Oct 29, 2001 at 01:00
Paul , what vehicle are you using? Split rims dont tell us what you are using! All the waffle above bears no meaning if not directed at a specific vehicle-- sorry but it is important! ( if you want an accurate answer)
John
AnswerID: 1300

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Wednesday, Oct 31, 2001 at 01:00

Wednesday, Oct 31, 2001 at 01:00
Paul, John here is right - all this tyre talk means nothing as each vehicle and situation cannot be compared. We've been thinking for some time of putting a Hot Topic together on this most contentious of issues to weed out the myths from the facts. In fact, no tyre will suit all of Australia ideally and we know. I don't think Linda responded about what tyres we used on our 2 yr intensive non stop travels so I should clarify we used BFG All Terrain on split rims - 2 sets and found they didn't wear at all as long as they say they do. One set only lasted 15,000kms (mostly stuffed from doing the Kimberley and Gulf). That's why we tried something different and have just done 18,000km offroad with the Coopers ST (tubeless for different vehicle) but again had wear problems. Availability is an issue, but not so since you're just cruisin' around. What's an extra day or two's wait for a tyre - you're bound to need to stop for washing and restocking anyway. Things take on a completely different meaning when you travel for extended time. Basically no tyre will make it. Go for what you can afford. One more thing... the major factors that affect wear on tyres are weight load and distribution and wheel alignment. Save your tyres and get your wheels realigned each time you come into a major town.Hope this helps till we write that Hot Topic!
AnswerID: 1311

Sponsored Links