Toyota Turbo Diesel - next release

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 13:27
ThreadID: 4551 Views:3078 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Does anybody know what the life of the current Toyota 100 Series Turbo Diesel is likely to be? Are there plans for a new model or new engine in the near future?

Looking at options at the moment and it would help to know what is coming down the track and when.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 13:43

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 13:43
Hi Motley, Toyota and Nissan have both got a totally new landcruiser and Patrol planned for 2006, As for engines we would all be just guessing, new platforms and bodies don't always mean new engines.
Best regards, Michael
AnswerID: 18289

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 17:03

Thursday, Apr 24, 2003 at 17:03
2006 is when our diesel finally meets the new european specs, ie. <50 ppm sulphur, might be why they would hold off introducing anything new soon.
FollowupID: 11474

Reply By: herkman - Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 18:19

Friday, Apr 25, 2003 at 18:19
Toyota have their knickers in a knot, over the sulpher content in our fuel.

They wanted to bring their common rail engines down for the last release of the Prado and Landcruiser.

Apparently they test the fuel quality at 20 points around Australia, as their last test was before the January upgrade, we got the crap engines again.

What Toyota is saying, is their engines are not as tolerant of Sulpher, as Mercedes Benz and jeeps. I also believe this is the reason why the Terrycan, Nissan X trail have not yet been released with a diesel engine.

I had a lot to do with Diesels prior to retirement, in Locomotive applications, and never any damage to engines that could be attributed to their diesel fuel, which is a lower quality, than what we buy at the pump.

What really cheeses me off, is why is diesel more expensive than petrol.

Me thinkum the public is being taken for a ride.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 18350

Follow Up By: wherethefugawi - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 18:51

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 18:51
Col, Are you saying our diesal is to high in sulphur content for their engines...i dont follow you as why do toyota haveso many diesals on the road??? if their engines dont like sulphur
Richard
FollowupID: 11767

Reply By: herkman - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 07:04

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 07:04
The reason that Toyota have not released their latest in diesel engines, is that the common rail diesel, requires according to them, the very best in quality in diesel fuel. Apparently, their direct injection engines can live with sulpher in the fuel.

Toyota overseas, particularly in Europe, have released their range of common rail engines, which give higher HP and much better fuel economy.

In Australia the only common rail engines I know of are the Mercedes diesels, and Jeep. I suspect but do not know, that the BMW engine is also common rail.

MM too have a common rail engine available, but it to has not made it here.

Regards

Col Tigwell

AnswerID: 18881

Follow Up By: Member - Motley - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 08:43

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 08:43
I have seen some info on VW's about a new SUV which has taken Europe by storm and supposedly will be released in Oz in the third quarter of 2003. Called a Touareg (??). It sports a 5.0L V10 Common Rail Diesel delivering 225kw and nearly 700Nm of torque.

Surely (hopefully) Toyota and Nissan can't be too far behind???
FollowupID: 11814

Sponsored Links