Mounting UHF and other accessories in 2002 GU Patrol Ti - Tips

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 03:26
ThreadID: 4564 Views:4252 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I noticed an earlier post, and wanted to offer some tips, after just successfully mounting some gear in my Patrol. I also don't like "destroying the "trim", and any parts I drill I buy spares for, so that I can go back to "standard" trim for resale (in say 5 years time).
1. Mounted a Uniden UH090 CB/UHF (ultracompact) into the long black vertical panel running from the console lid, adjacent to the drink holders. This was easily achieved by using a Dremel tool to cut the plastic (you can buy a new plastic piece for abot $11 if you want to go back to standard trim. The internal speaker is easily heard, and the mic lies in the gearstick boot.
2. Mounted a Nokia 6210 handsfree kit just in front of the console cupholders, on the passenger side - single drill hole mount, and sat the external speaker under the console, accessed by removing the ashtray (it goes into that hole, and site under/behind the ashtray - easily heard, and out of sight. Mounted the phone mic next to the overhead console (to avoid wind noise from open drivers window).
3. Removed standard 6 stacker and mounted Sansui DVD/MP3/SVCD player in bottom DIN slot, and Sony head in top DIN slot. High Power amp sits under the front of the passenger floor mat. DVD is connected to aux inputs on the Sont head. 10 Stacker mouted under passenger seat, using cotter pind through the carpet.
4. Mounted Super 7" TFT video in roof, just to rear of sunroof. This provides DVD and aux feed from CCD monitor camera in horse float.
5. Mounted Electric brake control in plastic centre dash cover, the one thats just above the front of the console...easy access, and a new plate is just $8 to go back to standard trim.
6. Mounted Piranha battery controller under bonnet, with H/D cable to rear Odyssey battery in enclosed box at LHS rear of cab. Internal wires from that feed the fridge plug mounted at the rear of the console (next to the ashtray - single hole), and also runs the UHF and DVD/Stereo (all audio gear wired with power line noise filter).
7. Made a false floor in two parts (remove the rearmost seats, when carrying stuff), and rear false floor sits on the two side seat mounts - allows a three burner BBQ, stand, cooking gear and aluminium folding table/chair set to be stowed underneath. I remove the centre seats when we go "car camping", and drop in the front false floor...the Waeco fridge sits just behind the passenger seat, and plugs into the plug at the rear of the console. When the front floor is fitted, there is room under it for clothes, rescue gear, utensils and gas bottles. The full floor permits an extra large mattress, and great sleeping accomodation for 2 people - without having to shift any gear out of the road to sleep (and no crap up on the roof).
8. Fitted flyscreens to the inside of the two rear door windows (with self adhesive velcro, and re-wired the window controls so they can be operated anytime (without IGN or ACC turned on).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: eric - Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 10:06

Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 10:06
I hope you can help me with a problem. I have just fitted a sony cd/fm player, single din, in place of the double din (crap) oem radio. I am having a problem with the auto antenna. Which wire do you use from the original loom to activate (extend) the antenna.
Thanks Eric.
AnswerID: 18380

Follow Up By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 19:36

Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 19:36
eric,
looked in my Gregory's manual ( i have a 2002 3 lt diesel) and it looks like the wire you need is a purple with white stripe, but the radio they show is not the same as mine so tread lightly.
FollowupID: 11525

Follow Up By: LoneWolf - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 22:09

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 22:09
Eric. In agree with "AndrewPatrol"...but here is more info....

On the Sony wiring end, the code for all units is:
Black - Ground
Blue - Antenna Remote
Red - Switched 12v (ie. from accessory feed)
Yellow - Constant 12v (ie. direct from fused connection to battery)
Blue/White stripe - Amp remote turn on signal from head unit.
White - L.Front Speaker +ve
White/Black stripe - L.Front Speaker -ve
Grey - R.Front Speaker +ve
Grey/Black stripe - R.Front Speaker +ve
Green - L.Rear Speaker +ve
Green/Black stripe - L.Rear Speaker -ve
Purple - R.Rear Speaker +ve
Purple/Black stripe - R.Rear Speaker -ve

On the Patrol harness:
Red/Green - 12v from Battery
Blue/Orange - Accessory 12v feed
Blue/Black - Lighting Circuit
Purple/White - Power Antenna trigger
Blue - L.Front Speaker +ve
Black/White stripe - L.Front Speaker -ve
Brown - R.Front Speaker +ve
Black/Red stripe - R.Front Speaker +ve
Light Green - L.Rear Speaker +ve
Black/Yellow stripe - L.Rear Speaker -ve
Orange - R.Rear Speaker +ve
Black/Pink stripe - R.Rear Speaker -ve
FollowupID: 11581

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 23:08

Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 23:08
Why not just in a roof console and dash pod??

3 bolts each and its done, and no holes drilled anywhere, or things ground down...?
AnswerID: 18452

Follow Up By: LoneWolf - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 22:14

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 22:14
Truckster,
I appreciate the comment.
1. My Patrol is a Ti model, with electric sunroof...so there is no room for the roof console. (Unless you lose the centre roof compass/temperature guage and sunglass holder - which I think is both cool looking and useful - I want to keep there).
2. I really hate the look of the velcro mounted dash pods....(personal taste, of course), and prefer the look of the compact UHF/CB mounted in the centre console...looks original!.
Of course, I agree that from a useability point of view, the dash pod puts the CB in a better position...and certainly a "big" unit would need a space like the dash pods provide....
FollowupID: 11582

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 22:46

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 22:46
Tell me these doesnt look factory?!

the GQ ones are bolt on jobbies. How cheap just velcro, but then goes with the rest of the plastic I reckon.

I also find it a pain in the freckle to be driving along tryin to change channel on UHF when you cant see it

YMMV

good luck
FollowupID: 11583

Follow Up By: LoneWolf - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 22:51

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 22:51
No debate....they do look great!
:-)
FollowupID: 11585

Sponsored Links