uniden 011 aerial

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 09:05
ThreadID: 4565 Views:2884 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Have just installed a uniden 011, this came with a little aerial about 300 or400mm high. the radio receives and transmits ok but feel its range is very limited, can anyone suggest a reasonable priced aerial to use on a around aus trip .
Thanks Wal
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chopper - Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 09:19

Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 09:19
Look at the GME range of Ground plane independant aerials, it will mean either running a new aerial lead or changing the fitting on the end if you are clever.

Bear in mind that you have put in an entry level radio (from 10-15 years ago) so can not expect it to perform like the new ones.

But, yeah a good aerial will make a huge difference.

I've assumed that you have mounted the aerial on the bull bar, if you were to place it on the vehicle gutter you would see a huge improvement in even you basic aerial.

chopper
AnswerID: 18375

Follow Up By: Damian M - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 19:49

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 19:49
I'm sorry to disagrre with Chopper on the Performance compared to the new ones. You will find that if the radio is in good condition, there will be no difference in performance between the old and the new. The only difference you will find is that you have more features on the new radio's. More scanning functions etc.

You might in fact find that the performance of the older units is better in some respects. UHF CB Radio is only allowed 5 watts output for transmitting. Find me a new unit that has 5 watts output. At least with the older units you could adjust the output to nearly 10 watts. I don't think you can do that with the newer units.

If you want real good performance from a UHF Radio. Get a Commercial radio that you can Program for the UHF CB Channels.
I have a Philips PRM 8030 Remote mount. I can program this radio to do almost anything I want. It's capable of 120 channels. I use the first 48 channels for CB Use and I have another 40 channels programmed to listen to the Police. Makes for a pretty handy Accessory.

FollowupID: 11624

Follow Up By: chopper - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 06:26

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 06:26
too each their own.

talk to some people in the biz and they will agree that the new units, regardless of brand, that use surface mount technology are more reliable and less likely to 'wander' off channel.

I agree with the coments regarding commercial sets though, if you can find one they are a cut above.

bear in mind that it is an offence to tamper with the output of a radio, or to use a higher output radio (some older commercial sets used to put out 25 watts) on the 40 public channels.

When we set up the radio net at work we follwed our local uniden dealers advive and used 3 UH011 and 6 uniden 1 watt handheld (can't remember the designation, built like a brick) these served us very well, until we started to recieve a huge amount of malicious interference from outside units. ( i know that these are public channels, and that a business has no particular claim to any channel).

We decided to change over to a set of radios that would allow us to use CTCSS to prevent the malicious interference being broadcast about the workplace.

We sold off the old units and put in TX3200s and Icom IC40jr (and IC40s for the off site work). The difference in reception and transmission quaility was unmistakeable, the ability to have the GMEs sensitivity 'programmed' by the dealer is a real advantage.

Aerials and power supplys remained constant, the units changed and there was a big diference.

I'm not saying that every one should dump there old units, but that there is now a new class of unit available and that you should compare apples to apples.

Just expressing my opinion and respect others right to do the same..

Chopper
FollowupID: 11643

Reply By: Eric - Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 22:41

Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 22:41
Wal.
The Uniden radios tend to drift off channel, If you want to use it in the bush you may have to get it retuned, if its worth it, Gme. are more stable. Eric.
AnswerID: 18439

Reply By: Phil G - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 21:40

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 21:40
Most important thing with UHF is mounting the aerial as high as possible. I routinely use a gutter mounted stubbie with a Uniden UH088 and it has surprisingly good performance on flat ground and they say it performs better than the tall aerials in hilly country. I save up my bigger aerial for the desert trips.

All sets, whether GME or Uniden transmit at 5 watts, and the sets perform equally well. Aerial placement is the critical factor. Disregard the comment above about 15 year old technology - your set is equal to any other UHF radio on the market.
AnswerID: 18534

Sponsored Links