Choosing a fridge

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 11, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 458 Views:1895 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I read lots on this site about fridges. I will be starting from a clean slate, I would like a fridge that wuld run off 12 volt and gas probably around 50 - 60 litres (freezing capability would be nice, but not essential).

What advice does anyone have?

Rgds Craig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jeremy - Friday, Oct 12, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 12, 2001 at 00:00
With a fridge unfortunatly if you want gas and get say a Chescold they run on gas put there power consumpsion on 12v is a shocker !!. With modern battery management systems and great sealed deep cycle batteries you can run a fridge heaps more than ever before !!, I fit and wire a great number of fridges in Vic for Op-Lock and for the money Waeco are great !!.... They are releasing there new 50lt Fridge/ Freezer that has 40lt fridge and 10 lt Freeze !!, plus heaps more bonus's ! The measurments of this fride is the same size as an 40lt Engle and use DAnfos Compressors with minimal current draw ! With a well set up system you will take out the need for gas !!! Email me back if you would like more info !
AnswerID: 1203

Follow Up By: Craig Brunt - Friday, Oct 12, 2001 at 00:00

Hi Jeremy,

Can you e-mail me more info on craig@productiveofficesolutions.com

Thanks Craig
FollowupID: 350

Follow Up By: Brian (rockyone) - Saturday, Oct 20, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 20, 2001 at 00:00
I agree,Waeco is great. We did 14 Day Gulf of
Carpenteria tour,Duncans(great !)four of fridges were Waeco incl mine.(My Chescold died..from lack of use I think)..All performed great,no flat batteries,left them go all nite..Yes,we did all have dual batt..Mine a home made solenoid hook-up,but wkd fine.Thanks to Waeco,fridges have come down to affordable prices..Rgs Brian.Rocky1
FollowupID: 368

Follow Up By: Patrick - Monday, Oct 22, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 22, 2001 at 00:00
I went to the 4wd expo at the RNA in Brisbane on Saturday and walked out with a new Waeco 50lt Fridge/ Freezer for $879. This was purchased from the Motorama 4 x 4 more stand. It came with a double warranty of 4 years (full parts and labour) up from the normal 2 years and a free 25 litre 12 volt fridge valued at $189. The Opposite Lock stand at the other end of the pavillion were wanting $100 more for the same thing!!!From what I have discovered from talking to a lot of people and reading through forums like this one, the Weaco comes well recommended and offers good value for money. I'm getting a duel battery system put in so that it runs more efficiently. It ceratinly pays to do your homework before making any buying decision.
FollowupID: 375

Reply By: Grant - Friday, Oct 12, 2001 at 00:00

Craig, we have just returned from a couple of weeks away, out in the bush. We hired a 40L Chescold and found it very good. It froze everything until we got used to the settings you needed. They are terribly inefficient on 12V but wired up as recommended, they work. As you are travelling for 18 months, I assume you will be stopping in some places for a while. This is where the 3-way fridges come into their own. I imagine having to run the vehicle every couple of days would be a pain in the a***, especially if you take it out of the wheels and put it in the camp. A 9kg gas bottle will last approx 3 weeks. I know that the Chescold puts out a lot of heat when in the wheels when on 12V, so you must pack around it carefully. Plenty of air circulation.This may apply to all car fridges anyway. Someone else could help you on that front. You can't hear them running, Chescolds that is. I have listened for some noise just to know, but, as yet??? The 50L is a fridge/freezer combo, seperate compartments, but you lose 4L having the divider in. It isn't much bigger in external dimensions to the 40L Chescold, but much more expensive. Roughly $890/40L, $1190/50L. We are falling in favour to the 40L 3-way Chescold over 12/240V Engels, Waecos etc because of the type of off-roading/camping we do. If you are almost constantly on the move go 12/240, otherwise seriously consider a 3-way. Enjoy. Grant "not all who wander are lost"
AnswerID: 1207

Reply By: Nigel - Monday, Oct 15, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 15, 2001 at 00:00
Heat exchanger fridges (the Gas/Electric ones or the electric only sub $400 ones) only cool sufficiently up to around 30 degrees, and even they they are still only getting down to 6-7 degrees. If you want something to keep the drinks cold in the middle of summer then a compressor fridge is the only option. Also the heat exchange fridges draw 5 amps or more continuously when on 12v compared to average of 1.6 - 2.0 amps for a Danfoss compressor frdige (with in the range of a decent solar panel).
AnswerID: 1214

Sponsored Links