89 Ford Maverick/Nissan Patrol rust hot spots

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 26, 2003 at 23:50
ThreadID: 4586 Views:4785 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Attention all Maverick/Patrol 1989 on onwards- just wondering if anyone else from experience knows where any rust spots are likely to develop/or have developed in order to prevent this car cancer ruining the vechicle!

The reason I ask this is that when I went to rewire the speakers in the front doors of the 4wd, behind the trim in both the passenger and driver door on the inside bottom right corner (for passenger) and inside bottom left corner (for the driver door) there were two rust spots about the size of a tennis ball (beleived to be that the rust began as when the reinforcing plate behind the metal which helps brace the bottom hinge was either not rust treated/painted etc in between the 2 surfaces and rusted from the inside out!)

Under normal conditions (i.e. not re-wiring a speaker system) it would never cause most people to take off the trim of the door for the fun of it, and no rust is visible on the external parts of the doors! So if you have looked, I suggest you do. (The whole trim doesn't have to come off with the internal door handle. window winder, etc - just pull off the bottom corner of the trim (closest to the cabin)) Also check if you have had anyone else in the past install new speakers in the doors to check the holes they drilled for the screws as well, most of them were rusted out too!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GPA - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 00:28

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 00:28
The most common rust spot is the lower runner of the rear-most windows - ie the slider ones. This is easily spotted, as it appears as blisters in the rubber surround - and gives a crusty sound when pushed.

I don't know of any other 'common' spot...

FYI - I just replaced the speakers all round in my 91 Maverick - and saw no rust - I had the door panels right off too.
AnswerID: 18458

Reply By: Member - diamond(bendigo) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 10:26

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 10:26
i recently had all my door trims off fitting central locking and didnt notice any rust but i have a little rust starting where the fire wall meets the panel under the windscreen.easter fun at jamison
AnswerID: 18480

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 22:56

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 22:56
Another spot to check is in the front guards, and the grill where the wipers are mounted in there.

Usual spots under wheel arches, scratched under body things like that.

The others have hit it, the rear side windows, and around the gutters if its had roofrack work.

if its a Ti, good luck finding speakers for the doors, they are 30mm, and was told by the local place that nothign can go in there to replace them.

YMMV
AnswerID: 18543

Sponsored Links