Places to stay on the Northern side of the Jardine?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 10:14
ThreadID: 4588 Views:2216 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi again,

It's my first trip up the cape and my wife and I are planning to spend six nights camped North of the Jardine.

We plan to be there in late June and want to pitch camp and leave it in the one place for the six days.

Have read Ron & Viv Moons' book and was wondering about the best camp sites.

We want, for those six days, full facilities. After two and a half weeks on the road.

Also want to do some sore based fishing and maybe hire a boat for a day.

Pusand Bay Resort sounds nice, but is it pricey to stay there? What about the camps at Seisa, Umagico and Loyalty beach.

Please help!!!

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 13:22

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 13:22
Dolph we like to stay at Loyalty beach camp ground its about 5 ks past Bamaga on the road to Seisia. Dans phone # is 07 40693372 web www.loyaltybeach.com.
We like it there because its close but not to close to Seisia and Bamaga and to the warf, also Dan can book your TI trips and charter flights and fishing trips THe camp ground has all you need .
To buy your food etc you can drive back to Bamago or Seisia or even Umagico.
AS i have said before for souviners get them on your way to the top at Jeffs tent he has the best selection north of Cooktown.
All the best
Eric
PS see you thereCape York Connections
AnswerID: 18493

Reply By: nomad - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 18:32

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 18:32
Have to agree with Eric dolfn,Loyalty Beach is the go.
The brother and I stayed there in september,top spot.
have fun,Nomad.
AnswerID: 18511

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff - Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 22:31

Saturday, May 24, 2003 at 22:31
We see you were up at the Top end in September last year and we will be up at the Cape this September and wondering if the weather will be cool at nights. This is for the benefit of our soninlaw who packs for all seasons, which may be a problem with limited space this time as he has a baby to pack in also. We would be happy with any info you may be able to pass on for this time of year. Geoff & Jen
FollowupID: 13526

Follow Up By: nomad - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 12:32

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 12:32
G'day Geoff & Jen,
Last september at the cape was hot and sticky,28 deg at night, especially north of the Jardine.
I only have my self to worry about when I travel, so I'm sorry I can't offer any advice for bub.
Best to be prepared for the baby, but I'm sure you won't need warm clothes for the adults.
Delhunty River is a great camp spot,but no emeneties.
My brother and I took the Telegraph track on the way up,and came back via the Northern by pass road,then through Heathlands to the southern bypass to Bramwell station for over night stop,and to replace the top shocky rubbers.
Greg, at Bramwell told me that top shock rubbers are the most common failure he sees up here.
I'm glad I took some spares,the corrigations really chop them out,and the by pass roads are worse then the Telegraph track .
I'm sure yuo will all have a great time.
Wish I was going to.
all the best,Nomad(Glen).

FollowupID: 13544

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 14:16

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 14:16
Thanks Nomad Glen, we hope to have a grand time as a group with our newly married son(20) his wife, his mate who will be married next month, and our daughter, her husband and baby. So there will be a couple of honeymooners and the remainder of us will be looking for good fishing spots etc. Which state are you from? as we are used to heat and humidity being from Qld, we were just concerned if it got rather chilly at night and what sleeping bags we should take as our son inlaw packs all, suitable for all degrees. So I will inform him of what you experienced last year. We will travel up and back the Telegraph track and on the way back we will turn off at Mulgrave and head for Kurumba. We will have to check what the road is like through there. So should be a great break for us all as we have been to Kurumba before and really liked the place. You might be able to hitch a ride, if Phil can cut back on his luggage :-) Thanks again Geoff and Jen
FollowupID: 13553

Reply By: Groove - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 13:20

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 13:20
I have never stayed at Loyalty Beach however Punsand Bay is lovely, the fascilities/amenities are good. You can request a capming spot a bit further from the amenities if you prefer privacy.

The food is good, if you decide to eat at their eatery. The swimming pool is under shade, lovely beaches but you cant swim in them unless you want to feed the crocs with one or more of your limbs.

I didnt think it was very expensive at the time but I dont recall the prices.

They have some mud maps of the area if you want to explore the surounding area and beaches by 4x4.

We planned to stay 2 days and ended up staying for 4.

Also while I was there I organised a half day fishing charter. It cost $80, they picked me up from the beach in front of my tent, and I caught a couple of huge tuna.

Likwwise the Thursday Island tours also leave from the beach at Punsand.

Have fun, its a great area wherever you decide to stay.
AnswerID: 18589

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 21:51

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 21:51
If you have kids go to Punsund Bay - they have a kids club - feed them, videos & icecream while you have dinner and have a beer - great to relax and Punsund is near the scenic spots around the top.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 18747

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 17:00

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 17:00
Dolfn,

We stayed at Punsand Bay and thought it was lovely. Got a campsite at the far end away from the amenities so had plenty of privacy and pitched our tent under the palms only metres from the beach. Charter boat operators for fishing trips or Thursday Island will pick you up from the beach so you aren't disadvantaged by being further away from Bamaga.

Speaking of Bamaga, at the risk of offending, I didn't think much of it and apart from fueling up and restocking I doubt anyone hangs around there for the sake of it. So, although Siesa and Loyalty Beach (both nice) are closer to Bamaga than Punsand Bay, it isn't really an issue.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 18909

Reply By: nomad - Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 19:01

Sunday, May 25, 2003 at 19:01
Hi geoff & jen,
Fellow Queenslanders ey,I'm from the sunshine coast,Gympie actually,but I now live and work at maroochydoore so also used to the heat.
I'm sure you will make the right decision as to what to take,there's a wealth of experience to draw from on this forum,besides,it all adds to the adventure.
Good luck.Nomad.
AnswerID: 21005

Sponsored Links