Mileage calculator

Submitted: Friday, May 25, 2007 at 19:38
ThreadID: 45888 Views:6682 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone,, just joined, have been logging on as visitor, but as we are heading off for 6 months, thought it about time to join. Hope to get to read all the forums eventually. While planning our trip, find it hard working out mileage on maps,,is there anywhere on this site that helps to calculate the mileage between destinations..
In hope.
Janine
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Friday, May 25, 2007 at 19:50

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 19:50
Hi Janine

Good site to haunt - lots of fun conversations and heaps of help.

For map calculations, i just use Google maps now though - maps.google.com.au/ - click on "Get directions" and put in the start and finish points and in about a trice you get the distance, plus the map and you can look at the sat photos too if you want. faster than any other of the trip planner sites.

Not everyone will agree with me but have a look at it.

Cheers
Max
AnswerID: 242378

Reply By: Member - Toolman (VIC) - Friday, May 25, 2007 at 20:07

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 20:07
Janine,
you could try this site. It may not have all the towns but it does have many.

www.travelmate.com.au/Home/Home.asp

Toolman
AnswerID: 242385

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, May 25, 2007 at 20:19

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 20:19
Well, I was going to recommend Travelmate to you but on checking, it appears to be "cactus". First of all I got an error "no map available at this time" then it returned a distance of 2.53 KM and less than 3 mins to do the trip between Coober Pedy and Oodnadatta. Hmmm, I don't think so.

Then I checked Google.maps.com and it showed the way as being up the Stuart Highway, half way to Marla, then turn off to the right in a westerly direction to Oodnadatta. Distance, 325 KM and 5 h 31 mins. That would take you through the Painted Desert, but it isn't the quickest route.
There is in fact a main track heading north from Coober Pedy direct to Oodnadatta which is much shorter, although I don't have the Desert Maps with me.

I am bleep tered. I used to use Travelmate to pre-plan some trips and calculate fuel stops, etc. BUGGER.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 242389

Reply By: Skippy In The GU - Friday, May 25, 2007 at 21:09

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 21:09
I always use the Mapsource Trip and waypoint manager to calculate the distance between A & B .
To do this I use the Route tool along with Shonkymaps.
AnswerID: 242405

Sponsored Links