Cape Melville

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 16:20
ThreadID: 4592 Views:1476 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm travelling up Cape Melville on Cape York in August. Latest info I can get is about 18 months old. Any tips from recent trips?
PHIL TURNER
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KevE - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 21:47

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 21:47
Hi Phil
My wife and I went to Cape Melville in August 2001 with my car an NH Pajero, A dual Cab Holden Rodeo, and a Landrover. Had a great trip
We went up the east coast road from Cooktown through Starke Homestead to Makooka. Tough trip, 150km in 12 hours, some steep creek entrances an exits. All cars did the trip with ease as we took each crossing slowly. We came home through Lakefield.
The abandoned homesteads are interesting and there are a lot of abandoned cattle in the area.
Just some general information, when you enter the beach area you will see a road off the the left about 100 metres before the beach. Take this about 3/4k's to a permanent fresh water spring/creek. Great place for a swim or getting fresh water.
We had a boat and had some excellent fishing from the small Flinders Inslands group which are only about a K off the shore. We also caught good fish, salmon and others off the beach using lures. We found also found the monument to a lost fishing group. It is about half way along the beach towards the Cape Melville point and in from a car park.
We hired a sat phone and were able to receive calls from the beach in the middle of Bathurst Bay. You will have a great trip but would be better if you went with another car as it is very desolate country and we only saw two other groups in the 10 days we were there.
If I can be of any further information please contact me.
Kev
AnswerID: 18537

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 15:23

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 15:23
Phil ring peter the other half of CYC and he will give you a good run down 07 4094 1745 .
All the best
ERICCape York Connections
AnswerID: 18596

Reply By: Member - Mal - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 09:41

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 09:41
Phil,
I'm also going to Cape Melville in August leaving Brisbane on the 13th.

Are you a Vietnam Veteran going to Camp Pandbleep for Long Tan Day?

Mal T.
AnswerID: 18955

Sponsored Links