Another ZD30 question & not what you think!

Submitted: Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 10:37
ThreadID: 45939 Views:2207 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
What do the 2 butterfly's in the pipe between the turbo & inlet manifold do? The first one seems to only operate when you shut the engine down. The second one blocks off half the the inlet pipe, but I cant get it to operate while sitting still. I thought it might shut to get some manifold when coasting to get more exhaust gas from the EGR. I have tried driving with this valve wide open & fully shut & performance is A little better when it is open but not a heap.
Does anyone have any better ideas & does it really need to be there?

Cheers
Matty
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 13:02

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 13:02
Matt
firstly, this is only a guess based on what a friend has told me...but it would close when coasting to encourage egr as you stated, my mate lost all of them and ran bigger pipework cutting out many restrictions, but ended up then needing a larger cooler to be effective with the more flow and fuel. See, he has a td6, which are similar, as he had butterflies aswell....he put a safari turbo on which is quite larger than std, then freed up flow....now he is pumping 14 psi thru it, the egt's are 650 quite quickly.
Andrew
AnswerID: 242680

Follow Up By: hl - Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 14:30

Sunday, May 27, 2007 at 14:30
Hi,
The one that you observed closed is there to reduce the engine shaking about when you turn it off. The second one is the "swirl control". The ZD30 has 2 air intake paths, to produce a swirl (kind of like a free hiclone)
Cheers
FollowupID: 503681

Sponsored Links