What is a Cookie

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 18:10
ThreadID: 4597 Views:1293 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I was looking at joining a Yahoo group site and they talk about adding COOKIES in my hard drive can anyone please tell me exactly what they are......signed......not hungryBorn to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 19:04

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 19:04
They are small "programs" that websites leave to allow certain funtions to occur automatically, and also indicate things like "last time here" and automatic password authentication (although password is kept in a seperate area on your HDD). Did you notice that you did not have to log in to this site like you did originally??? cookies at work.

They are capable of keeping track of where you have visited (so-called "spyware") but these are relatively easily taken care of by programs such as "ADAWARE". They are not capable of carrying viruses. You can delete all your cookies but make sure you know all your passwords first (you can do it a bit more selectively if you know what you are doing) Bit of a PITA to login to everything afterwards but worth it once or twice a month as part of you routine maintanance...
AnswerID: 18515

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (WA) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 19:15

Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 19:15
Peter,

They are a way a site (yahoo for instance) can keep track of many things - including your log-in details - so that you can use the site without the hassle of logging in every page. They can also be used for MANY other things and not always to your benefit or with your knowledge.

One method of dealing with cookies if you use Internet Explorer 6 is to block all cookies except "session" cookies.

To do this : navigate to tools / internet options / privacy / advanced and then check the "block" box for first-party cookies and third-party cookies and check the box for Always allow session cookies.

This should allow you to safely surf and only let needed cookies into your system. They will only last for that "session".

Hope this helps rather than confuses youLead, Follow.....or get out of the way!!
AnswerID: 18516

Sponsored Links