Insects in Cape York

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 27, 2003 at 21:59
ThreadID: 4603 Views:2936 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are going to Cape York at the end of June and were wondering how bad the flies, sand flies and mossies (yuck) are likely to be and what repellents you have used with success. Is it necessary to go to the extent of netting for hats etc? We are travelling with 5 other families & have a mix of ages.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jonny dontknowmuch - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 10:27

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 10:27
mate just came back from daintree and after a day or so his little girl had a bush tick a guid up there said just spray him with aeorgaud and thatll kill him and sure enough it did. take RID for mossies he said they werent to bad but theres an out break of dehgie fever up there.
AnswerID: 18577

Reply By: dougie - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 11:36

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 11:36
Rid is the only way to go. the creamy one i find the best ai also has medication if you get bit..
if you get out on the coast sand flies will send you to your tent early.
The bush ticks can be a worry ( especially with animals) keep checking the kids they might not feel them, but the locals dont seem to bother much about them.There are 2 types 1 is dangerous. I have a mate up there that just removes them from his dog with his fingers,
If one gets on,dont pull it out The story goes they leave there head and that is what causes the problem. the trick is to use the tube from inside a tiolet roll and put it over the tic and spray flyspray or rid.Flys are the least of the problems. Death adders, Taipans, crocadiles,send the kids in the bush or rivers first, starting with the young ones as you might not be to attached to them as yet.I n june the crocs are sleepy and dont need much food. Go to hartleys creek croc farm and do the show before heading up the cape.
AnswerID: 18582

Reply By: Groove - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 13:06

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 13:06
I was there the same time 2 years ago and was pleasanly surprised at how few problems we had with mossies and sand flies etc. We used a roll on repellant called bushman, available from camping stores and quite strong (the warnings on the lable are enough to put you off).

AnswerID: 18588

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 18:24

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 18:24
Jennie just take my wife because evey thing is to busey biting her so they leave you alone . We use Bushmans Ultra it is very good but only on the adults on the kids we use Aerogarde tropical strength.
Also we use a mixture of detol babyoil and citronella about a third each and use that as a repelant . Another thing if you put light clothing on, as in long sleve shirts ,socks and pants at dawn and dusk . Most important dont sratchhhhhhh .
If stung by a bee or wasp use a raw cut onion and rub on sting this immediately releaves the pain
All the best
EricCape York Connections
AnswerID: 18612

Reply By: PETER - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 07:57

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 07:57
was told that if vitamin b is taken sand flies and mossies wont bite. caravanners say it works for some people so i have 200 vitamin b tablets and i am taking them as a test - we have mossies all year round here in seaford and they even hurt if they stand on you - has anybody experiance in this area regards peter
AnswerID: 18653

Follow Up By: Jennie - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 12:24

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 12:24
Thanks for all your ideas guys....think we might see half of you all up there : )
FollowupID: 11661

Reply By: Craig - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:12

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 21:12
Whilsts in the army we were supplied with a product that contains DEET I believe the Bushman repellent has deet .
We came back from the Cape 2002 didnt have any dramas using products with deet.
Hope this helps
Regards
Craig
AnswerID: 18939

Sponsored Links