Lawn Hill

Submitted: Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 16:42
ThreadID: 4621 Views:1951 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Going to Lawn Hill on our way to Darwin and would like to know peoples points of view on the two camping areas - Lawn Hill National Park, Adels Grove and if anyone knows the cost of a night at Kingfisher Camp?
Regards Bruce.Looking forward to the end of June,
Darwin via Lawn Hill-Borroloola.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 17:30

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 17:30
At Lawn Hill National Park last July - can have fires in fire pits [shared] - bring your own wood - don't have to drive from Adel's Grove each day - we were there 4 nights - MUST book well in advance
No hot showers - hooks provided for your own solar shower
Plenty of room in camp sites but camper trailers have to stay on the gravelled "roads" in the camp area - tents on dirt - plenty of shade
Great place to walk you socks off
AnswerID: 18606

Reply By: Old Soldier - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 20:13

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 20:13
Bruce & Anne,

Adels Grove is great.

Lawn Hill is your typical NP, you can almost feel the public service bureacracy at work with signs everywhere - "don't do this - don't do that" etc etc.

Others may like camping in N.P.s but I would go to any extremes to avoid them if possible.

Hot showers at Adels Grove - great people - and you can also run your "gennie" up until 9pm when the camp owners switch off their own gennie to preserve the peace and quiet of the area.

It is so quiet and peaceful you can actually hear noise - the distant rumble of the Century Zinc Mine some kilometres away.

As for the trip to Lawn Hill N.P. - 10-15 minutes over easy bush track.

And you can also "dangle a line" at Adels Grove - something you can't do in the N.P.

enjoy your choice

DennisN
AnswerID: 18621

Follow Up By: Groove - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 22:20

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 22:20
Its interesting that you would use the phrases "run your gennie up until 9pm" and "preserve the peace and quiet" in the same sentence.

Sorry I'm just very anti generators.

On another note, as mentioned Lawn hill is booked out well in advance however we decided to see if there was any space available anyway. The place was half empty and half the people we spoke to said they didnt make a booking. The next morning when the park ranger came around he asked us how many days we planed to stay and took our money. No mention of bookings or anything.

There are hot showers at The NP camping ground but you have to light a fire to get them hot. There was plenty of wood provided for this.

Cheers
FollowupID: 11637

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 10:29

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 10:29
G'day Groove,

"Anti generator???"

May I ask why?

Is it a "narkie" thing - or have you some substantial reason?

IMHO, the name of the game is tolerance [from ALL to ALL], and I always have the courtesy of checking with my adjacent neighbouring campers as to whether my little Honda EU10i generator is annoying them.

The reply is usually: "what generator?" [The eu10i has a db noise rating less than normal conversation]

Yes, irresponsible campers who misuse noisy generators late at night are bloody annoying, but so are people who snore loudly, hold spirited conversations round campfires into the early hours of the morning, people who have barking and yapping dogs or crying babies etc etc.

Lets not enter into any civilised dialogue with them to discuss the perceived problem - lets just declare ourselves "anti this or that - whatever" - or better still why not just shoot the bastards and be done with it?

And you can add to that list; tree hugging greenies who seem determined to ram their views on how the bush should be managed down other peoples throats.

You see the results of their politically correct lobbying in National Parks everywhere - that's why I avoid camping in them.

And as Chopper said: "not a Koppers Log in sight" :)

Nothing personal Groove - just a bit of tongue in cheek :) :)

Enjoy the bush

DennisN
FollowupID: 11654

Reply By: chopper - Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 22:09

Monday, Apr 28, 2003 at 22:09
I'm with dennis.

We booked into adels grove after finding that the NP was booked solid, very glad that we did.

Private campsites, and not a koppers log in sight.
AnswerID: 18644

Follow Up By: Jeff (Beddo) - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 21:17

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 21:17
I heading for Lawn Hill aswell and I'll check both out but will tend towards the national park - don't like the idea of c'van parks, generators etc, what to hear the bird life at sunset etc, Ok the signs and bollards are a pain in the arse but they are there because idiots do the wrong thing - ever been to a camp ground where there are fire places every where and signs of old burnt grass patches everywhere; axe marks in trees; loo paper in the bush everywhere; wheel tracks pushed into the bush to get away from other campers; donut skid marks around the place etc etc - that is the world of the unregulated camp site (have a look at some of the camp sites along the OTL on the way to Cape York - these are tips - loo paper & rubbish). National parks have a general policy on signs which is implemented across the state - that might be in a metropolitian park or one in the outback they are standard across the state. The parks also are under staffed and the signs give a general regulation role - the c'van park has a manager on deck full time and if anyone plays up they would surely turn up to rectify the problem. I must admit I would prefer the unregulated natural campsite but unfortunately parks are loved to death and that is why they are regulated.Well I'm going for the national park experience of piece and quiet, wildlife, roughing it a bit, (donkey shower sounds great), etc - don't like the c'van experience, it is a bit to domesticated for me, generators, TV's, radios, lights, noise etc Maybe this other place is great and I do agree that the national parks in most places are not user friendly to camper trailers - people should write to the regional manager of the particular area to complain. Anyway have fun and possibly see you in a canoe on the river up there.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
FollowupID: 11698

Reply By: fatboy - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 16:36

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 16:36
Hi Bruce and Anne ,
I would recommend staying at Addel's grove if not for the convenience of showers and toilets , to just put money back into the local economy instead of paying the government some more money . Addels has great facilities , marked out camp areas bbq plate at every site , bistro style meals if required , plenty of room , great fishing and swimming, pleasant owners etc etc . I live in mt Isa and have visited addels and lawn hill many times and I know you will enjoy the trip regardless of where you stay. Also check road conditions as the riversleigh road to lawn hill can be extremely rough usually easier to drive to the gregory downs pub and then turn in from there.
AnswerID: 18829

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 18:40

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 18:40
Thanks everyone for all the replies about Lawn Hill.
Now you know what the MU looks like give us a wave if you see us up the way.
Thanks Fatboy for the local knowledge.Looking forward to the end of June,
Darwin via Lawn Hill-Borroloola.
AnswerID: 18842

Sponsored Links