Firewood on Fraser Island???

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 21:00
ThreadID: 4647 Views:2067 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks...
Heading up to Fraser Island next week .. just thought .. should I take my own firewood or is it made available there? I plan to stay at Dundubarah or close to there, but may move around a bit over the 5 days.
Thanks
Jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 21:20

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 21:20
Yeah theres plenty supplied in a few locations such as lake mackenzie, central station, waddy point. They say one armful per camp per day, but my camp oven needed a bit more than that. Andrew.
AnswerID: 18736

Reply By: chopper - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 00:02

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 00:02
there is a fire wood supply at the dundabarra campsite.

It is prefered that you do not bring wood onto the island.

Bear in mind that the timber provided for you does not come from Fraser but comes over in trucks (Unbelievable 1&2, 8x8) from the Hyne Mills in Maryborough. I don't think that it will be long before fires are no longer permitted on Fraser, (they are now banned throughout Noosa River cmaping areas).

Enjoy the island

chopper
AnswerID: 18771

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 15:34

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 15:34
Chopper, we're tossing up between Fraser and Corner Country in the July school hols. Unfortunately the NSW hols coincide with QLD hols this time so we'll all be fighting for the same "secluded" spots.

I've never been to Fraser at this time of year before. What's it like, in terms of weather and crowds? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13191

Follow Up By: chopper - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 15:42

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 15:42
It's never really that crowded (except for easter w/end).

The trick is to get to places like Lake McKenzie early, before the backpackers who usuallyvisit the lake as their last stop before leaving the island.

Even better, go to Lake Birrabeen, beautiful lake, you can park close, shady trees, and much quieter.

Whichever way you go, have fun.

I'm off to the snow in June and July.
FollowupID: 13195

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 15:47

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 15:47
Thanks. Its been a "few" years since I was last there. Back then we found Birrabeen was an excellent alternative to Mckenzie, but the white sands, blue water and turtles (tortoises?) will demand a visit for the kids.

Can you still get to Wabby and roll down the dunes into the lake?Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13197

Reply By: Jack - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 06:29

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 06:29
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Jack
AnswerID: 18782

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 17:41

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 17:41
Dunduburrah, good choice Jack!Waddy point is just a hook flash up the beach from there and theres firewood at the Ranger station, just use enough for warmth not an inferno, saw some people warned severely for a huge fire there last week.

All the best________________________________>
Fraser Island Dreaming
________________________________>
AnswerID: 18834

Follow Up By: Jack - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 18:46

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 18:46
Hi Bonz:
Thanks for the tip .. got a guy travelling with me who can't get by without a fire for cooking. He even tried to get one going when we were fishing up at Grafton recently .. in near monsoonal rains ... he even got it started (momentarily) !!!! Some people can't help themselves : )
Jack
FollowupID: 11765

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 09:59

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 09:59
Jack, he's not the only one. I was at Woko NP, near Barrington Tops in NSW last week. It rained solidly all week (except for Thursday) and I was amazed at the number of folk with a bloody-minded determination to get their fires going. One group of several caravans and campertrailers turned up in rain on Friday afternoon and proceeded to chainsaw fallen trees and collect wood, in the rain, and light their fire, in the rain. They weren't the only ones though. Virtually all the campers there had their fires "come hell or high water".

It seems camping means fires for some folk. We even got one going one night (the only one it didn't rain) for the kids to roast their marshmellows, so I guess we're not immune to the attraction either.

A worse experience (than the lovely chainsawing mentioned above) was during January in the high country, in the midst of the fires and total fire bans, we still wittnessed fellow campers lighting fires in the NP. One group even left camp (packed and gone) and left their fire smouldering. Some neighbouring campers and I had to extinguish it and clean up their mess.

BTW, I guess not many folk visiting this site come from the norther beaches of Sydney, but those that do will have seen today's local paper's front page declaring "Off-road Drivers Bash Bush to Death". Irresponsible behaviour by the minority always ruins it for the majority.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 11820

Follow Up By: Jack - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 15:38

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 15:38
Hi Rohan:
Thankfully, my mate, even though he loves his fires, is careful. He digs holes deep enough to hide bodies in when he is preparing fires. And he is fastidious in putting the things out. Gotta have some saving graces I guess.
"Off-Road Drivers" .. yeah, a few fools tend to spoil it for the many. I think we will not be too far from the day 4WD registered clubs will seek access to various tracts of land, have to post a bond + insurance, and only members will be able to use it. I am a 4WD club member, but it seems a shame.
Safe Travel ....
Jack
FollowupID: 11833

Reply By: Goodsy - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 23:41

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 23:41
Was up at Fraser 3 months ago. Wood is supplyed at every campsite that fires are permitted. You can use a more than an armful a night just don't go over the top in fire size.
AnswerID: 18879

Sponsored Links