Gunbarrel with a diversion

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 22:36
ThreadID: 4655 Views:1457 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip later in the year across the gunbarrel highway as far as Everhard junction. Then heading north to windy corner, taking the Tallawana road across the Canning stock route to check out Rudall River national park. We will then carry on to Newman. According to my calculations on the map the total should be around 1200 k's from the last fuel at Warburton allowing for a 200 k trip into the park.
Thats probably stretching the range even of our troopy.
I know I will have to carry some spare fuel but has anyone been through that way recently and from what I can see on my map there is no fuel between Warburton and Newman. Is this correct.
Its nice to get away from the ratrace.
Doug
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Topcat - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 23:34

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2003 at 23:34
Unless you arrange for a fuel drop at Well 23 which is situated at the Western End of the Tallawana Track through the Capricorn Roadhouse at Newman [Telephone 091 751535] then there is no fuel between Warburton & Newman.
For safety I would suggest a fuel range of at least 1500km & try not to overload your vehicle as some of the tracks in the Rudall River N.P. are very rough. Hope you have a nice trip.Have Wheels Will Travel
AnswerID: 18765

Follow Up By: Member - Topcat - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 00:20

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 00:20
Correction to Well 23. Situated at the Eastern End of the Tallawana Track on the Canning Stock Route.Have Wheels Will Travel
FollowupID: 11717

Follow Up By: Zita - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 22:52

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 22:52
A couple of jerries should give me close to 1400 k's. We travel pretty light as we live in Darwin and will only be away a few weeks.
We can get supplies in Alice and Newman.
I try not to take too much in the truck as most places you can get essential supplies once a week.
Thanks Doug.
FollowupID: 11809

Reply By: Member - Greg - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 15:53

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 15:53
I understand that you can get fuel at Pummu on the Telfer Mine Road. So if you went a bit further north on the Gary, as far as the Gary Junction then cut west you woudn't have quite as far between refills? And you could still see Rudall from the northern access? Then go through Rudall to the Talawana and west to Newman?
It's a bit different to your plan but if you've got the time....??
That's part of our itenerary for June/July so might see you up there?

GregC
AnswerID: 18982

Sponsored Links