hilux rear brakes

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 12:27
ThreadID: 4661 Views:4308 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know how to improve the rear brakes on a 93 hilux?

I have been through everything (That I know of) and still can't get the rear wheels to lock when braking hard.

I have replaced the rear wheel cylinders, the master cyilinder pistons and checked the proportioning valve.
I have also bled, bled and re-bled the system.
I tried to force the valve open by tying it to the body sothat full braking pressure gets to the rear wheels, but this didn't seem to alter anything.

If anyone can help, Ide appreciate it.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: haze - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 14:44

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 14:44
Why the hell you want to lock the rear brakes? Arn't tyres expensive enough already? And if that aint enough, you went the wrong way with the load valve!
AnswerID: 18823

Follow Up By: limo4b - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 16:16

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 16:16
Hi Guys
tying it up is going the right way, but i share your centiments about locking the rear up.If it does that on a panic stop, you will be doing the opposite lock thingy.
If you were wanting to try something different, get a set of front discs from the earlier lux (80-89) with commodore rear callipers and handbrake cables, or a pair of vented ones like your fronts with some XD-E-F v8 ford rear callipers and handbrake cable and fit them with adaptor brackets for the callipers and front wheel studs in the rear axle (that hold on the disc)
If that sounds too hard, get a front diff and put it on the back, then you have a 4 wheel steer monster truck like "Swampa"
Andrew
FollowupID: 11755

Reply By: ausielux - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 16:21

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 16:21
Haze,

I realise that tyres are expensive. When you are driving along, wouldn't you like to be sure that when you stand on the brakes the thing will stop?

The braking on the vehicle is really bad. The only way to check that the brakes are working properly is to stand on them really hard. If it locks, they are good. As I said earlier, The front is working properly, but the rear isn't.

the proportioning valve rod needs to be lifted in order to simulate a loaded vehicle. Which causes maximum fluid pressure to be applied to the rear.

AnswerID: 18827

Reply By: Goodsy - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 23:29

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 23:29
Why do you want the rear brakes to lock?? If they lock they are not braking. Last car was a 94 hilux and I could never get the rear brakes to lock up. And the fronts only on wet conditions. But it still pulled up very quick. Leave the rears alone they only account for about 10% of braking any way. If the lux is not pulling up quick enough look at the fronts.
AnswerID: 18878

Reply By: ausielux - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 07:51

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 07:51
I don't want them to lock, but if they lock you can adjust the proprtioning valve sothat they don't lock. It gives a datum from which to work.

I was comparing the braking on a nissan short wheel base that I had. it felt asif the brakes are not performing.

they do stop the vehicle.
AnswerID: 18882

Sponsored Links