Jardine River - Cape York

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 17:34
ThreadID: 4669 Views:1982 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I along with some friends are getting ready for a fishing, sight seeing adventure to the Cape in July (first time for all).

We would like to do the OTL, our main concern is crossing the Jardine River. We know there is a ferry on the Northern bypass road, from what we can gather on the OTL route we may have to cross the Jardine the hard way, if at all.

Any tips or advice appreciated.

Thanks heaps

Julian.

PS. If anyone has any other suggestions for our trip it would be much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 18:02

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 18:02
Julian the otl does go all the way to the Jardine but you can jump of the old track before you get there. If you look at your hema cape york map its the turn of its 6 ks from the river near the camping symbl .
You can go to the river and see were we used to cross. I would not suggest crossing but its your call.
All the best
Eric
PS you will have a great time .Cape York Connections
AnswerID: 18835

Follow Up By: Member - Julian - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 18:19

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2003 at 18:19
Thanks Eric, thats good news. The ferry will be the way to go.
FollowupID: 11760

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 19:52

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 19:52
Hey Eric, I would not attempt this Jardine Crossing with the crocs and the stories I heard of the dredging of the northern bank of the Jardine. Do you know of any vehicles which have crossed recently ? Would love to see some photos - heard of one a Nissan Patrol which got shipped back last year after attempting !Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 18923

Follow Up By: Craig - Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 20:57

Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 20:57
I agree with Beddo , also for some good fishing tips/ spots try and make contact with Raymond a locacl at the Jardien Ferry.
Regards
craig
FollowupID: 11872

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 09:02

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 09:02
Jeff the nissan that you talk about was in the water for over 24 hrs it was a total write off and cost the family alot of money getting it back to the top . The dredging of the nth bank is an urban myth thats my opinion.
You can still cross the Jardine if you wish but it takes plenty of preperation and late season is better. If you look back in back issues of 4x4 Australia most of the deep river crossing photos are from our trips to the top taken by Ron Moon he has been away with us on a couple of readers trips. Peter has on his wall at home a photo of a 80 Sereies the water is up to 3in under the sorkel crossing the Jardine.
All the best
Eric
Ps the pascoe is a good challange and getting in and out is also fun.
as per every river crossing you should always walk them first we still do walk 90% of them.Cape York Connections
FollowupID: 11891

Reply By: miker - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 15:26

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 15:26
Julian, saw one attempt when were up there last year. They got about a third of the way before it hit the fan and they were winched out backwards. Too many balls and not enough brains. In times when there was no ferry it was the great challenge of the trip...but now...the ferry's the go.

Muttee Heads at the mouth of the Jardine is a good spot with solid fishing in and around.

Enjoy.

Mike.
AnswerID: 18981

Follow Up By: Member - Julian - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 17:15

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 17:15
Thanks Mike, the ferry's for us.
(that crossing would have bought a tear to the drivers eye I bet)
FollowupID: 11931

Sponsored Links