<span class="highlight">Globalstar</span> Quality Of Service

Submitted: Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 19:32
ThreadID: 46832 Views:4519 Replies:10 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I have an issue with the level of service presently being provided by Globalstar in relation to satellite telephone communication.

Like many members in these forums, I have an Ericsson R290 satellite telephone, and in recent times have experienced difficulty in acquiring satellite connection and subsequent drop-out of a connection.

In November 2006 Globalstar issued a letter from Managing Director Peter Bolger, explaining the reasons for the unsatisfactory position. The letter mentions the ageing satellite system Globalstar has, attributing this as normal occurrence and anticipating a further slow decline in performance.

As a means of improving the service, the letter says Globalstar would deploy in March and April 2007 two new groups of 4 satellites (ie 8 satellites) to replace some of the 40 ageing satellites in the system.

It was expected that with those new satellites deployed, Globalstar could continue to provide "good commercial satellite service" out to 2010.

The reality is completely opposite.

I have experienced numerous situations - each in different locations where the phone cannot establish communication. The most recent of these was about 3 weeks ago in an emergency situation within the Hattah-Kulkyne National Park.
(The park is south of Mildura between Redcliffs and Robinvale).

Attempts to connect with the emergency services (000) number resulted in repeated line drop out. My Globalstar account records around 12 dropouts within a 10 minute period.

My reason for posting these comments is to alert satellite telephone subscribers to the fact that such phones do NOT provide a reliable means of communication in remote areas. The claims though the Globalstar website and even their logo of "communication anywhere" are simply not true.

In outback trips, I carry an HF radio. I realise there are sometimes "black spots" with the radio, but at least I have a number of frequencies to establish communication of some kind.

A satellite phone that cannot acquire connection is useless.

I am still waiting to hear from Globalstar after this latest incident, and the Minister for Communications (Helen Coonan) too.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 19:41

Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 19:41
I've got a Globalstar account and have found them to be wanting. Have a real problem picking up satallites.
Recently when in Dwellingup I had digital coverage on my mobile, my work mobile is Next G and no coverage and a guy in our group checked his car mounted Sat Phone (which was turned on) and he had no coverage in an open area. Go figure.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 247732

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 19:45

Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 19:45
This is a well known problem. Search the archives .
AnswerID: 247734

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 19:52

Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 19:52
I have a Qualcom phone and Globalstar $70 plan, soon to change to a $ 30 plan when 2 years runs out, then I will get the 2nd new phone that may be compatible to 3G when it arrives.

To date I have used my phone on many occasions with very few problems.

Don't know what the fuss is about.

Steve.
AnswerID: 247739

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 20:18

Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 20:18
Don't laugh, but I wonder if you get better reception being closer to the equator. Most Globalstar problems seem to be here in the deep south. Surely the satellites must be able to be picked up when within line of sight with the antenna. It could have something to do with atmospherics as well.

Globalstar problems are well documented on this forum.

Cheers

PS I sent you a MM a week or so ago but you didn't respond. You might have been out of town. I will be in Darwin around the end of July and will give you a buzz then to see if you are in town.
FollowupID: 508556

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 21:01

Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 21:01
Hi Willem

Yes I got your message and have been meaning to get back to you.

Please accept my apologies, I'm glad you liked the book and still believe it should be in school libraries.

It would be great to meet you, I'm sure I could take a day off to come into town, If not would it be possible for you to come to Jabiru and visit the falls as my guests.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 508568

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 21:10

Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 21:10
No worries Steve, I forgot you were at Jabiru. I am sure I can get out that way. I intend spending a couple of weeks up north visiting old friends and so on. I will ring you when I am in town.

Cheers
FollowupID: 508574

Reply By: Member - Ian S (NT) - Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 20:15

Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 20:15
Hi DesertSky,

I have a Qualcomm 1600 with carkit and have endured the frustrations of the current situation, although I haven't failed to make a call I needed to.

The new satellites were deployed in May, 2 months later than expected. We sould be expecting an improvement in the service as of this month. I have a 2 week desert foray again coming up soon and willbe looking for the improvement. We will report back on this forum.

Cheers
Ian@Mt Dare
AnswerID: 247749

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 09:50

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 09:50
Hi Ian
So for the novice, is this the same service that provides the Bgan internet coverage we talked about last week? If so what does that mean for me if i set myself up with this gear, no coverage in times to come?
Thanks Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 508639

Follow Up By: Member - Ian S (NT) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 10:23

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 10:23
Hi Lyndon,

The Inmarsat RBGAN system is totally independant of Globalstar. You can use the BGAN for VOIP (Skype) if you wanted to.

Great system, only drawback is the cost of data. Currently seeing if I can get a negotiated fixed amount for use after trial period.

Cheers
Ian@Mt Dare
FollowupID: 508644

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 21:02

Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 21:02
Globa$hit have been misrepresenting the quality of their service for at least 2 years now.
Given this fact, Why should people believe they have actually deployed the claimed new satellites or that they have been deployed in an area that will benefit Australian users of this service?

Its a US based company and nothing to do with us, so why should the Globa$hit service or lack there off be of any interest to Coonan?

Don't hold your breath on a better service from this company.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 247756

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 23:38

Monday, Jun 18, 2007 at 23:38
"Its a US based company and nothing to do with us, so why should the Globa$hit service or lack there off be of any interest to Coonan? "

Nope, Globalstar is not an International service like Iridium. Globalstar only works in countries where earthstations have been set up to connect handsets into the fixed network. If you have a Glaobalstar contract it is with an Australian company and Australian consumer protection laws apply.

You should talk to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO).
FollowupID: 508604

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 00:21

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 00:21
Mike I stand corrected.
You are correct Australia is managed by its local "Globalstar Independent Gateway Operator" Globalstar Australia Pty Ltd who own and control the 3 Australian based gateways.

So agree maybe a complaint to the TIO is a good idea for people to try and gain some recourse for the $hit local service they get.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 508609

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 00:59

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 00:59
This is extracted from the 2006 Globa$hit Annual Report to Shareholders dated 30th March 2007.
It makes for interesting reading particularly the issues with the current generation of Sat's and the continued degradation of the system which by their own description "the quality of two-way communications services will decline, and by some time in 2008 substantially all of our satellites launched between 1998 and 2000 will cease to be able to support two-way communications services"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Constellation life and health. Our current satellite constellation is aging. We plan to launch our eight spare satellites in 2007. Assuming these launches are successful and we are able to mitigate the Sband anomaly described below, we expect that our current satellite constellation will provide a commercially acceptable quality of service through 2009. A number of our satellites have experienced various anomalies over time, one of which is a degradation in the performance of the solid-state power amplifiers of the S-band communications antenna. The S-band antenna provides the downlink from the satellite to a subscriber’s phone or data terminal. Degraded performance of the S-band antenna reduces the quality of two-way voice and data communication between the affected satellites and the subscriber and may reduce the duration of a call. If the S-band antenna on a satellite ceases to be commercially functional, two-way communication is impossible over that satellite, but not necessarily over the constellation as a whole. The root cause of the degradation in performance of the amplifiers is unknown, although we believe it may result from irradiation of the satellites in orbit.
The S-band antenna amplifier degradation does not affect adversely our one-way “Simplex” data transmission services, which utilize only the L-band uplink from a subscriber’s “Simplex” terminal to the satellites.
To date, we have managed the degradation of the S-band antenna amplifiers in various technical ways, as well as by placing into service spare satellites already in orbit and moving unimpaired satellites to key orbital positions.
Based on our most recent analysis, we now believe that, if the degradation of the S-band antenna amplifiers continues at the current rate or further accelerates, and if we are unsuccessful in developing additional technical solutions, the quality of two-way communications services will decline, and by some time in 2008 substantially all of our satellites launched between 1998 and 2000 will cease to be able to support two-way communications services.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 508613

Reply By: srowlandson - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 08:13

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 08:13
I've had my R290 active for about 2 years now. Personally, I have 'used' it about 3 times. once in GSM mode as It got service via GSM when my telstra and a optus mobile we had couldn't get service.

I used it at Easter in the Vic High country, in camp with marginal tree cover 70% of the trees were down from the bush fire) the service was terrible and it took me around an hour to send an sms and receive a reply, making a call was impossible.

A collegue used it right through WA and the kimberleys and reported it worked 100%.

I'll be replacing it at the end of the year and going Iridium. A friend is borrowing it tonight for a 6 week Kimberleys trip, i'll see how he goes.
AnswerID: 247818

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 11:13

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 11:13
I tried to use my R290 a couple of weeks ago in the Watagan mountains to the North of Sydney and could not establish a connection. I am connected to GLobalstar vai Vodafone, an old hang-over from when Vodafone owned it.

However, surely under the consumer laws in Australia they either provide you with the service you pay for, or you are entitled to a refund, therefore if failure to connect is a comoon problem you should, in theory, be entitled to a refund of your monthly connection fee.

I must say this highlights the need for back-up communications.....
AnswerID: 247856

Reply By: Member - outback2 (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 13:49

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 13:49
had a R290 with Globalstar........what a hopeless phone and hopeless service serviced by totally disinterested staff !......changed to Telstra / Iridium 2 years ago and couldnt be happier.
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 247876

Reply By: ctaplin - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 23:31

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 23:31
Since late 2006, I have been travelling and living in remote parts of the QLD Gulf Country & Arnhem land and each time I try to use my Globalstar phone I am lucky if it will connect and it is currently almost useless as a form of emergency communication.
I purchased a Globalstar Telit dual mode GSM/Sat handset in 2005 for a trip into the Gibson & Great Sandy Deserts in WA where it worked brilliantly connecting within 20 seconds and never dropping out.
On my next trip in 2006, I had huge problems up Cape York even getting a connection and if it did connect it would drop out when trying to make a call or send an SMS.
On complaining to a Globalstar dealer in, I was told about the 7 or 8 faulty satellites.

Last week I phone Globalstar again and was told that 4 new satellites have been deployed and are currently being manouvered into position with another 4 being launched soon.
Fingers crossed that this is true as currently the service is useless and customers are paying good money each month for a no existant service!
AnswerID: 248009

Reply By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 00:20

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 00:20
Once again .......... me, too ............

Two several-days solo trips to the Wenlock goldfields in the last month and the Qualcomm sat-phone was as useful as a hip pocket in a singlet .....

The only connection was on the fourth day, lasted for around 8 nano-seconds then dropped out.
Just come back today after nearly a week away ................. nothing, no action, Stillsville !!!

Would've been better served with two jam-tins and a longish piece of string ....??

.......and, to make matters worserer, it possesed down with rain most of those days/my solar panel couldn't work because of the cloud cover/the Beagle found a decaying bird carcase and brought it to my tent as a gift to me/ I inadvertantly took magarine instead of butter for my toast [ and I hate magarine} / I didn't find any gold/took two books to read at night and found I had read them both years ago/my head hurts/ etc...

Oh, woe is me ...................
AnswerID: 248016

Sponsored Links