80 series Air Con Problems

Submitted: Friday, May 02, 2003 at 15:44
ThreadID: 4693 Views:1575 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I have an 80 series Turbo Diesel. Earlier today I was driving the car then stopped for about 30 minutes, when I started the car I had this loud squelling noise come from the motor I thought it was one of the belts, so I stopped the motor and checked and they seemed ok I restarted the motor and the noise was there for a short time and then stopped, I noticed that the air con has stopped, any ideas what I should look at next.

Thanks, Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jack - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 16:47

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 16:47
Hi Tony:
I would like to suggest it may be the belt(s) .. I currently have the same problem, and *will* get around to fixing it shortly. But I think my belts are also due for replacement. Try tightening them up.Mine "squeal" when cold .. give it a minute or two to warm up and all is well.
Jack
AnswerID: 18987

Reply By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 17:11

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 17:11
Hi Tony, mine's had that problem before but when I replaced the belt realised it needed a new bearing also so you may want to check that. If the compressor has stopped altogether make sure there's no leaks as when empty it automatically will shut down.
RegardsLove the bush.
Chris
AnswerID: 18990

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 20:33

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 20:33
Tony,

Aircon belt needs to be a lot tighter than the fan/alternator pair. Do as suggested and check idler pulley bearing, then re-tighten a/c belt. If you had bonnet up, someone could turn it on while you do the listening.

If a/c isn't working, check clutch is engaging/disengaging too. Might need a trip to a sparkie. We had a problematic 75 series that always squealed the aircon belts, with occasional lapses in performance. Think it had a prob. in compressor. Was pleased to get rid of it. Air is most important accessory out here, even before c/control. Hooroo...
AnswerID: 19005

Reply By: diamond - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 21:22

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 21:22
all responses above would be a good place to start not sure if l/c air con run on idler pulley but most common squeel at work would be loose belts .as an air con belts is not under load all the time because of clutch they do need to be tighter as well as idler pulley might be ok when air of but once clutch engages more strain on belt there for on idler.when air clicks on you get a sudden strain on belt so if its a little loose if will give a squeel for a few seconds.another quick fix is to run some dry soap on yor belts.
AnswerID: 19012

Reply By: Member - Wherethefugawi - Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 12:47

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 12:47
ditto most of the above ..make sure the belt is tight and if it continues check to make sure the pullies are not worn out. A Vee belt must make contact with sides of the vee pulley only and not on the bottom. If you have a flat cog type belt and it continues you may have mechanical problem with the system or a refrigeration problem which will need to be checked out by qualified person.Cheers all
AnswerID: 19054

Sponsored Links