Dunlop Grandtrek AT 2

Submitted: Friday, May 02, 2003 at 15:47
ThreadID: 4694 Views:1965 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I like to hear some informed oppinions on this tyre please. I am running Grandtrek AT1 on my 80 series for past 4 years and the wear hasn't been too bad. However , i did hear some very bad feedback on the new AT2. Any info is appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Old Soldier - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 20:07

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 20:07
G'day Goran,

Havn't seen you on here for some months - you must have been out in the wilds of W.A. :)

I remember you saying last year you were happy with your AT1 - round about the time I got my AT2s in May 2002.

My thoughts are they are one tough tyre, but I am disapppointed on the wear factor. I have done just under 50K and they are showing bad signs. Probably all the conflicting opionions on what pressure you should run them at.

As an example, the Dunlop blokes say around 40psi [including the bloke in Cooktown which is real bush country], the vehicle manufacturer says around 28 - 30psi. Many of the off road forums say get the presuure down [sounds like John Farnham :) :) ] on rough roads, and a mechanic I trust says run them around 35psi and drop a few pounds for bush roads.

Confusing aint it???

As for toughness - I rate them 100% tops. they can handle any sort of road/track conditions thrown against them.

The tyre bloke in Cooktown says that he sells more Grandtrek AT2s to the locals than all the other "trendy" brands combined. Anybody who knows the roads [I use the term loosely :) :) ] around Cooktown will read a lot into that.

I guess it boils down to what you want from a tyre. If you have been pleased with the AT1s - maybe the AT2s would be OK out on those western tracks you get onto.

enjoy the bush

DennisN
AnswerID: 19001

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 20:50

Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 20:50
Im with you Dennis on the pressures.

Depends who you talk to, which foot your standing on, the weather in Equador, which way the wind is blowing, if you got lucky last night and if its full moon as to what pressures you should run in cars these days...

Gives me the shiats!

Mate is running the Grandtrek2 MT's and they have done one Variety club bash to Birdsville and Back, and 12+mths of road work now, and they are also showing lots of wear, earlier than he wanted anyway.
his car is a GU 4.5 petrol.

FollowupID: 12014

Reply By: Goran - Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 17:52

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 17:52
Thanks mate. I get very good run out of AT1 . What i dont know is the diference between AT1 and AT2 . I have set that has covered 40k so far. Only had one failed ( tread separation looks like heat damage) and that fairlure could be due to temporary plug repair that turned out to be permanent one. There isn't many people with AT2 on their cars around here .... i wonder why?
AnswerID: 19063

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 20:52

Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 20:52
I suppose it could be the compound of the rubber, like the BFG AT's and MT's.

The KO/KM versions of BFG are getting nowhere near as many klms(talking to lots in our club that used to run them) and there are nasty stories about the MT's(KM) holing sidewalls like butter...
FollowupID: 12016

Sponsored Links