HJ75 ARE THEY ALL LEAKERS

Submitted: Friday, May 02, 2003 at 20:48
ThreadID: 4699 Views:10083 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
HAVING DIFFICULTIES LOCATING WHERE WATER IS ABLE TO GET IN TO LEAK DOWN ON YOUR FEET.
JUST SOLD TROOPCARRIER RUSTED UNDER DRIVERS FLOOR FROM WATER LEAKING INTO DRIVER COMPARTMENT.
JUST AQUIRED FRP THE DAMM THING IS THE SAME
JUST HOSE THE WINDSCREEN AND DRIVE AWAY WATCH AND FEEL THE DRIPS .
HAVE REMOVED INSTRUMENT PANEL CANT SEE ANY THING.
SOMEBODY MUST HAVE HAD OR KNOWS OF A SIMILAR PROBLEM.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nat - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 22:57

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 22:57
I had the same problem with a 75 series ute. I found water was leaking in where the windscreen and the roof meets. Half a tube of silicon and job done. No more leaking!
AnswerID: 19018

Follow Up By: wombat - Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 19:46

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 19:46
thanks NAT suspected windscreen area for some time
FollowupID: 11970

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 23:34

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 23:34
I had this with the GQ.

It was a split rubber around the screen.

Genuine new one was $110, but its fixed.

maybe try the 80scool list.
Lcool
AnswerID: 19020

Follow Up By: wombat - Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 19:51

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 19:51
Thanks truckster windscreen it must be or in that area had sealed first troopie was about to remove vent panel near wipers .
Had taped over air vent during last storms before I sold it and around screen reckon I could have been on the money was scared of madam rust so took wreckers offer.
FollowupID: 11971

Reply By: Member - Chris - Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 07:47

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 07:47
Mate,

I had some problem, but a replaced windscreen fixed all the leaks, so you might need the selaant as advised. Otherwise, the troppy is watertight - now for the dust

chrisChris
<- 1996 Troopy, the best!
AnswerID: 19036

Follow Up By: wombat - Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 08:08

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 08:08
Thanks all for the rapid response. guess the only serious thing I havnt attacked was the screen. Did reseal the troopie to no avail. But didnt take it out.Cant anyway without breaking it.
Seems like that will be the go will probably find the bloody thing has got into bed with madam from the rust department as well.
Guess at age seventeen something like that can be expected
thanks everybody.
WOMBAT.
FollowupID: 11950

Reply By: Brett - Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 15:23

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 15:23
Get friendly with your local Toyota dealer and ask to look at the service bulletin (from approx 1997?) regarding the 4-5 different known leakage points around the front windscreen/roof panel.
This document does exist so long as you can find someone willing to look for it.....
Brett
AnswerID: 19058

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 23:03

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 23:03
Someone on www.lcool.org may know about it.
FollowupID: 11979

Reply By: Member - Peter- Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 18:19

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 18:19
Yes I've had two that both leaked the first one leaked like a sieve and after a CSR trip it was even worse. I pulled the panel in front of the windscreen off that the wipers come through and found that from the rear of the slots that the bonnet hinges come out of to down the side in front of the doors there was a crack which let the water in. I just covered it in silicone which stopped the leak and then traded it in on a later troopy. The whole windcreen moved about half an inch sideways on corrugations as the A pillars where no longer attached to the body!
The second one never cracked but did leak around the seam where the gutter joined the body down the a pillar as well as the windscreen after resealing the screen and the a pillar it was ok except in really heavy rain when it would get wet, that turned out to be where the snorkel bolted on. Silicone stopped the water seeping down the threads of the bolts.

Peter
AnswerID: 19065

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 08:03

Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 08:03
Hi Wombat
My HJ75 use to flood on the passenger side – First though tit was the windscreen. After heaps of trial and error and frustration it turned out to be entering the hole that the radio aerial cable entered the cabin – the installer hadn’t sealed it off. Water runs off the screen and down the “A” pillar, down the gap between the front quarter panel and the door and would land on the cable and …thanks very much -into the cabin. A piece of plastic and some silicon and it’s now as dry as a bone.

Good luck and I hope yours is an easy one to fix
Cheers
Alex
AnswerID: 19077

Reply By: wombat - Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 09:11

Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 09:11
THANKS ALEX WOULD EXPLAIN LEAK WHILST TRAVELLING THESE BUGGARS LEAKED STANDING WITH ONLY A SPLASH ON THE SCREEN
HAVE NARROWED THE CURRENT ONE TO BEING INSIDE THE FRONT VENT WHERE WIPER ARMS COME OUT THINK MAYBE MADAM RUST OR A PANEL CRACK .
ITS NOW OBVIOUS DUE TO RAPID RESPONSE THESE LADS HAVE A LEAK
POTENTIAL FOR VARIOUS REASONS.
ONCE AGAIN A COMMENDABLE SITE FOR ALL 4WD USERS THANKS
ALL
WOMBAT
AnswerID: 19078

Follow Up By: Janset - Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 16:38

Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 16:38
Hi Wombat.

I think you are pretty close when you mention the vent, have you noticed that it is more noticeable when heavily raining or hosing?

What happens is water gets in that vent, no problem with that, but if it can't drain out as it is intended, it builds up momentarily and dribbles down the under bonnet side of the fire wall and onto the wiring harness that goes into the cab. The grommet is directly under the hinge recess.

If you have a close look, you will possible see water staining from the hinge recess down to the flat horizontal lip that runs above the rubber grommet.

How to seal that wiring/grommet against water ingress is anybodies guess as there a a hell of a lot of wires and the gap between the wires and the grommet is large, especially if you have run a number of wires through there your self.

I still have not been able to seal this area off successfully as access to that point is awkward, maybe a shielding over the grommet and wiring harness to direct the water elsewhere may work.

Regards
FollowupID: 11991

Reply By: Member - Royce- Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 23:47

Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 23:47
I've got two 75 series and both have had windscreen leaks... fixed by replacement. The Supa Trupa used to live in a open cut coal mine. When I pulled the windscreen out it fell to pieces!!

BY THE WAY...... USING CAPITALS IS LIKE YELLING IN SOMEONE'S FACE ..... IT'S A BIT RUDE UNLESS YOU REALLY WANT TO MAKE A VERY LOUD POINT......Royce www.funshow.com.au
AnswerID: 19133

Sponsored Links