Reagans Ford

Submitted: Friday, May 02, 2003 at 21:42
ThreadID: 4701 Views:6746 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
How dee do. I am curious about Reagans Ford, north of Perth on the Brand Highway.
There is a very nice rest area here with running water and toilets. It has been clearly marked by MRD WA ( main holes) with rest area signs on the highway but when you enter the area the local shire have erected signs forbidding overnight stops or caravans.
I would like to know from you people out there which sign takes
presidance?????????
As A hyperthetical point. If I stopped at Reagans Ford, then got moved on which caused me to have an accident, could the coucil be held
resposable?????
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bob - Friday, May 02, 2003 at 21:58

Friday, May 02, 2003 at 21:58
Raybates
I headed past Regans Ford twice on my way to the Pilbara and back at Easter. Both occassions people were camping there, so the shire obviously aint enforcing their policy that well. I always stop at roadside 'camps' (usually with a dozen others' and have never been told to move. I think it would take a brave person to make you move on if you told them you had been driving all day.
AnswerID: 19017

Reply By: Member - Wayne- Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 09:36

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 09:36
We lived in Jurien Bay and whenever I travelled to Perth there were always people camping at Reagans Ford. We never stopped there because we used to find the dog would pick up several ticks if we went down to the rest area near the river.

Why would you want to stay there anyway, you're only an hour and a half from Perth?

Heaps of people used to camp at the turn off to Jurien Bay, 23kms past Badgingarra called Coomallo. I also think there was a no camping sign here and again it always had campers. Nice shady trees and if there has been rain, a creek running at the back.

If you were planning on a visit to the Pinnacles, then there is a rest area that people camped in along Bibby Road (there are two, the best is the one closest to the Brand Hwy) I'd guess it was about 5kms off the Brand Hwy at the bottom of the first hill. Bibby Road is the first road you come to with signs to Jurien Bay and Cervantes, about 30kms north of Cataby.

From here you can go into Cervantes or follow the coastal road up to Jurien Bay, Greenhead and to Leeman. The road continues north and rejons the Brand Hwy 32kms south of Dongara. There are several areas along this road that you can camp at, you just need to explore in from the road.

I know the Jurien ranger does his "rounds" early in the morning, checking for people who camp close to town (or in town on the beaches) so make sure you're far enough away.

Have a good trip

Wayne
AnswerID: 19044

Reply By: bruce.h - Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 10:55

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 10:55
Ray
the regans ford service stationhas a caravan park so camping at regans ford would fall well within the limit requiring you to go to the park,
has to whos regulations over ride whos i believe that state & federal gov & their departments regulations over ride council depending on who has control over the land ie if regans ford rest stop is on main roads or calm land then their regs take precidence if it is on crown land vested in the council then council regs rule, you could probabley get better & more up to date information from warco (west australian recreational campers organisation) there is alink to contac details via west aus 4wd ass.web site www.4wda.com,au
hope this helps
regards bruce
AnswerID: 19049

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 17:41

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 17:41
Could the council be held responsible?? For enforcing the rules of no camping?

You need to ask?

Rest area doesnt mean camping area....

YMMV
AnswerID: 19062

Reply By: Member- Rox - Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 12:54

Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 12:54
It is posted in free camp sights book I am sure as we have looked at it but not stoped.Easter at Yardie creek
AnswerID: 19087

Reply By: Cam - Monday, May 05, 2003 at 13:58

Monday, May 05, 2003 at 13:58
Ray, I know of several people who camp at Regan Ford regularly as it is a good 1st point to stay at for those who wish to leave to city in late afternoon on there trips up north. About 1 - 1.5 hrs away from the city. With the police & road safety council targeting driver fatigue at the moment I dont think there would be a local council in the state who would move you on. Just be sure to spend minimum time there ie arrive at say 5pm & move off by 5am next day & leave no evidence of you stay ie no rubbish etc. Its when to place becomes dirty or when people stay for extended periods that the councils will digg there heals in & move people on.
Interestingly the road house there does have a basic caravan park there but not sure of the costs. The road house is for sale at the moment though if you interested. Current owners are probably trying to get out before the Lancelin-Cevantes road opens up. When it does it will probaby take the bulk of tourist traffic making Regans, Cataby, Badgy & Eneabba Road Houses very quiet.
AnswerID: 19169

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 13:36

Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 13:36
Raybates,

Reagans Ford is a lovely spot. We find it just nicely placed for a short rest stop from our home south of Perth. As others have said, there is generally someone camped there although only in caravans, slide-ons etc. Haven't seen a campertrailer or tent set-up since the "No Camping" signs went up.

Just to clarify a point...a rest area sign does not automatically denote overnight camping. Look around anywhere in Oz and you'll find hundreds of examples of signed rest area's that prohibit overnight camping.

Regarding council being liable if they move you on. Just this morning I was speaking to someone at a shire in WA's mid-west about a particular free council run camping area. I was told a 3 night limit applied BUT if the ranger asked you to move on and you said "I can't, I've just had a couple of drinks" they CANNOT force you. Was also told they had someone camped there for 3 months and despite repeated efforts there was virtually nothing they could do! Yes, this was direct from a shire employee.

Apart from the DD issue, I have heard similar for driving when tired. If a ranger of police officer askes you to move on and you say "I'm too tired to drive safely" you can't be forced.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 19363

Sponsored Links