Rotronics RDC12M

Submitted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 14:13
ThreadID: 4708 Views:3979 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The fully discharged lamp started to flash on my Rotronics monitor unit.As the deep cycle battery was 3 years old I had it checked and foun d that it was buggered. Bought a new deep cycle battery home and after installing it ;the monitor still flashes and isolates the auxillary.So I am without an auxillary battery.Murphey's law says that these things always happen on a long week-end /after hours.Just as we were trying to get away for a camping break. I would appreciate any advice from the electronic gurus on our list. The unit is only a few weeks old and it was bought to replace a smaller unit so that I could charge my camper battery as wll as the aux.battery in the truck.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Dave - Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 14:44

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 14:44
Lex,

Had a similar problem with a different make. The unit flashes when the main battery gets down to a certain voltage (approx. 12.2 volts) and isolates the aux. battery. When I checked the battery voltage it was okay (13.8). What I found was the earth from the isolator unit was very poor. Fixed the earth by putting it to a bolt and not one of the self tapers that mounts the unit and problem went away. Most units measures the battery voltage with respect to earth. If the earth is poor it will the unit will read the voltage wrong.

Check the earth and also read the main battery voltage.

Hope this helps.

Dave
AnswerID: 19057

Follow Up By: Member - Lex - Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 17:57

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 17:57
Thanks for your help Dave; I checked the only earth wire that I could find - seems ok. I think I'll have to wait until Tuesday to get the unit checked. I suspect that part of the reset in the monitoring system is faulty.
FollowupID: 11967

Reply By: Rod - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 09:35

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 09:35
Suggest you ring Rotronics directly. I've found their after sales tech support to be good and my problems have all ended up being from my own installation, not the product. Ask for Rod (no not me). Think the red light comes on at 11.5 V
AnswerID: 19231

Follow Up By: Member - Lex - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 09:55

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 09:55
Thanks for your reply Rod. I totally agree that Rotronics make a great product and their service is second to none. After much frustration on the long weekend I stumbled across the reason for the flashing light. The unit works perfectly but the brand new deep cycle batery purchased on Sat morning was not fully charged.The salesman assured me that it would be charged so I had not even considered the battery.
FollowupID: 12071

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin (NSW/ACT) - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 10:14

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 10:14
Totally agree on quality of after sales service. I have had my unit in for 6 months or so and recently noticed that the main battery seemed to be brought into the charging system more often than before. A quick call to Rod had me checking the cells with a hydrometer and I found one to be very poor. Battery voltage appeared okay but with the crook cell it doesn't hold the required charge level hence the RDC12M bringing it back into charge all the time. Better to know the battery is on the way out before it fails I guess. Now to see if Nissan will replace the battery under warranty! - first indications are not promising as adding a dual battery system is 'modifying' the standard system which voids the warranty.Kevin - sitting here, thinking of there
------------------------------------------
2002 GU Patrol ST 4.2TD
2000 15' Supreme Getaway
FollowupID: 12073

Sponsored Links