Oil Pressure on TD42

Submitted: Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 21:40
ThreadID: 4710 Views:8594 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Have just fitted a good VDO oil pressure gauge on my TD42 Patrol as I don't trust the factory gauge (it hardly moves)- what oil pressure should I be getting? Oil pressure at idle seems good- approx 110Kpa when hot, but seems a bit low at revs (250Kpa)... what is normal? Should I be having a look at the oil pressure relief valve???
Thanks in advance,
David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 22:56

Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 22:56
Did you replace the oil pressure sender?

Mine on GQ moves from 0-4 on the gauge on the dash, but it stopped once, it was the sender, $90 new from Missan... Ouch!

I too have VDO sitting right infront of me, going in, with some others into a dash pod... I really need to get my finger out soon!
AnswerID: 19072

Follow Up By: David N. - Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 19:03

Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 19:03
My new gauge is a VDO mechanical 270 degree gauge(ie: nylon tube to a "T" at the oil pressure sender) and I also have capillary oil temp.
Oil pressure at idle seems good, but lower than expected at revs..
Just wondering what anyone else is getting- or do most people rely on the factory gauge which is very ordinary.. to say the least- better than a light but only just!
FollowupID: 12001

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 20:44

Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 20:44
I actually have both here, got them thru VDO when I worked for an Auto place.

Where have you mounted yours? The reason IM thinking of the dashpod, is its somewhere you will see easily.

Do I like the OEM gauge? Not really.

I would guess that theres less than 1% of cars out there with aftermarket Temp/Oil pressure Gauges..

Then again,look at all the lowered Gino mobiles.. that would up the % a lot!

Do I trust the OEM Temp/Oil pressure Gauge? No comment on grounds I may incriminate myself...
FollowupID: 12012

Follow Up By: David N. - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 13:11

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 13:11
Yep, mounted in a pod in the centre of the dash.
I'm probably going to pull the oil pressure relief valve off (left, rear of the block- opposite side to the oil filters) to check it's condition.
My manual (Gregorys) says I should be getting 290- 390kpa at 3000RPM but I'm getting less than 250 max.
(I'll double check the pressure with a mechanical gauge first as I have a spare from my days as an apprentice- many many moons and two careers ago!)
I think the electric ones are close to useless...
Cheers
FollowupID: 12079

Reply By: Nat - Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 11:00

Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 11:00
Just a quick thought. I never rely on electronic gauges for major things i.e Water temp, & Oil pressure. No sender switch required only problem is once the oil feed line on the gauge had a fracture inside the car and sprayed a little bit of oil on my leg.
AnswerID: 19082

Reply By: nugget - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 23:42

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 23:42
David,

The oil pressure gauge in my GQ Patrol diesel does seem to behave erratically at times. One day it reads 400 kpa, and the next it sits at around 300 kpa. I'm hoping it's the sender and not something more sinister though. You say you are going to have a look at the relief valve, You may also wish to look at the regulator valve aswell (situated below the forward oil filter) making sure it's not sticking or the spring is weak or broken. You could always put a washer or two under the spring which will increase you oil pressure but it could just be hiding a larger problem, worn bearings etc.
Just a word of warning regarding mechanical oil pressure gauges. Make sure you route the plastic tubing away from any electrical wiring. I once had the misfortune of having an electrical short years ago and the wiring melted through the plastic tubing causing oil to leak behind the dash. luckily I noticed it when investigating the electrical problem otherwise it could have emptied the engine of oil. And yes it was a Landrover (series 11).
AnswerID: 19318

Follow Up By: David N. - Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 10:52

Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 10:52
Thanks nugget for your reply...
The oil pressure at idle is very good so I don't believe I have a bearing or similar problem...
Will be trying a separate mechanical gauge this weekend, my problem might even be as simple as an almost blocked nylon tube to the gauge- I think I might have overtightened the compression "olive", as the oil pressure rises slowly on the gauge and also drops slowly (even after the engine is shutdown)
FollowupID: 12148

Follow Up By: David N. - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 16:46

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 16:46
Have just fitted temporary mechanical gauge on the engine- result oil pressure is excellent- near the top of recommended range when hot- so I will have to get new nylon oil line fittings for the VDO gauge I guess.
(Actual oil pressures I'm getting HOT are about 22psi at idle and 57psi at 3000 rpm)
Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated.
FollowupID: 12232

Follow Up By: David N. - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 08:42

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 08:42
It's all fixed.
Was a blockage in the oil pressure gauge line.
Oil pressure in the trusty TD42 is excellent- at least I can now be confident about it as the factory (electric) gauge is close to useless.
Thanks again one and all. Cheers
FollowupID: 12386

Sponsored Links