Internet connections and Starcke Track Cape York

Submitted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 19:37
ThreadID: 4721 Views:3019 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We have a group that are planning a trip to Cape York in July and would like to know how much fuel people would expect to use on the Cooktown to Cape Melville to Kalpowar crossing to Musgrave trek. The vehicles we have are 2 x 100s T/D, 2 x 80s Petrol and (LPG), GU Patrol 4.8 petrol. One of the T/D LandCruisers will have a camper trailer too....

Also are wondering what people do for internet connections for their notebooks while away. We have ADSL at home and no other connection, but would like to have a chance to download our emails when in a town. Should we have a dial up connection and just plug into a phone line or are there internet cafe's where you can plug a network cable into their network and download that way.

Jen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 20:05

Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 20:05
Jen,

Re emails: Get your email redirected to a Yahoo or telstra.com (NOT Hotmail, too much spam!) email account. You or your ISP will be able to do this.

Re connections: A dial-up account would be the way to go if you could but make sure it has NO connection limitations (ie. not limited to one STD code/location/state. Take a floppy disk (remember them???) with you when you go to an internet cafe and save to that, then transfer to your laptop. Way too much stuffing around to try to reconfigure your laptop everytime you want to connect to someone elses network, and the owners probably wouldn't want you doing it anyway. I would imagine most people in the outback with internet connections or a phone would allow you limited access if you were to throw them a bit of money for their time. If you or one of your group are carrying a satelite phone you should be able get a data connection package to hook up to that and retrieve your email. TEST IT BEFORE YOU LEAVE! Note it is VERY slow.
AnswerID: 19107

Reply By: GUPatrol - Monday, May 05, 2003 at 10:45

Monday, May 05, 2003 at 10:45
Jen,
I did this trek in 2000 with a GU 4.2 TD Patrol and fuel consumption was the same as normal (about 12.5 to 13L in 100kms), it is not hard going but very very slow due to the washouts and the ruts, there are some sandy bits but no hard going and no problems.
We found that the petrol models in our group used more than normal as petrols do in slow going terrain.
We are doing that trek again this July/august so we may see you up there...
You won't need to carry extra fuel but I always do carry at least one jerry just in case....
The 150 kms from Cooktown to Bathurst Bay through Starcke takes all day.
The bathurst bay to Kalpower crossing took from about nine am to three pm (Including stops), make sure that the camper trailers are not wider than the cars.
Kalpower crossing to Musgrave is nice and easy (just dirt roads) and you would make it in no time.
Take it easy and enjoy the area.
Will
AnswerID: 19158

Follow Up By: Member - Timothy - Monday, May 05, 2003 at 21:50

Monday, May 05, 2003 at 21:50
Will. I agree with your fuel figures if the track is in good nick. In late may 2001 it took me 10 hours of driving from cooktown to cape melville via starke. Fuel usage would have been more like 16l/100km (gu ute). I also agree with your trailer comments. In and out of a million trees with a wide trailer would drive a man nuts! Tim
FollowupID: 12059

Sponsored Links