Nissan Pathfinder Gas?

Submitted: Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 21:21
ThreadID: 4727 Views:14405 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Nissan Pathfinder it is heavy on fuel and has a small tank. Was considering a gas conversion/dual fuel. I have never seen one around has anyone done one? any problems. Currently used for towing (Horse float two horses) which it just manages would gas compromise this. Or should I just swap it for a Patrol 3.0d. And has anyone done much heavy load towing in one of these.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tristjo - Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 23:58

Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 23:58
dp,
Gees, that sounds like a lot of weight for a Pathy!! I am not surprised that it chews the juice!! I have seen a number of Pathys, both late, and early 90's models with LPG conversions, so i don't think you would have to much trouble finding someone who will install a kit for you. I have never owned an LPG vehicle, so i can't comment on the power/economy, and realiability issues, but one thing i will say is I wouldn't like the idea of having a highly pressurised cylinder of gas dangling beneath my car!!! You may also have to move the spare wheel from underneath the car which would add to the expense. If you have the money, go out and get yourself a 3ltr tdi Patrol!! I reckon they are fantastic value for money, and i don't beleive they would have any problems in towing 2-3 tonnes. From everything I have seen and heard about them, they are a great vehicle.

Tristjo.
AnswerID: 19134

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, May 05, 2003 at 09:35

Monday, May 05, 2003 at 09:35
dp, I have a 2002 Pathie and use it to tow my 1,100 kg campertrailer. Given how it struggles up hills with the trailer, I'm not surprised you are dissatisfied with its performance with a trailer and two horses behind it. The pathie is rated to tow 2 tonnes but they don't mention at what speed or fuel consumption, for good reason. Along with the small tanks, you don't get far between fuel stops.

I'm looking at fitting a UniChip and or Turbo (misses agrees, so there!) but I reckon a turbo diesel is the only way to go for serious, frequent towing. We'll be "ditching" the Pathie in about 18 months and going for a TD Patrol, Cruiser or LR Defender.

Good luck with the decision.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 19146

Reply By: crowie - Monday, May 05, 2003 at 18:38

Monday, May 05, 2003 at 18:38
DP

Friend of mine had a 96 auto Pathe with duel fuel. The original tank had been replaced by the gas tank and a kaymar type wheel carrier fitted. Very thirsty vehicle with any load like most of these petrol 6 4wd's

Did the Simpson in it and did it well but ran on Petrol apart from the run to Dalhousie and into Birdsville because of the lack of power on gas. So bad that on gas on the run across the Hay Plains (fully loaded roof rack etc) couldn't get the cruise control to work unless it was in 3rd. Started to go backwards in 4th with cruise. Up around 28L/100km on gas fully loaded comared with about 22L/100km on petrol.

Didn't think LPG was worth the trouble. A petrol Prado on the same trip used nearly half the fuel the Pathe did so costs worked out the same in the long run for both vehicles.. Having owned a duel fuel GQ Patrol myself I don't think its worth the trouble, specially if it's long range touring your after. Gas is for the City. I opted for a 3.0d Patrol and haven't looked back.
AnswerID: 19184

Reply By: woddonnee - Monday, May 05, 2003 at 19:04

Monday, May 05, 2003 at 19:04
G'day DP
I recently bought a 3l patrol and I'm very happy. During my research I compiled a list of replies to questions on this and another forum regarding the towing ability of the patrol. If you would like a copy email me at woddonnee@hotmail.com
cheers
Rod
AnswerID: 19186

Reply By: Member - Graham - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 18:55

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 18:55
We tow 2000kg van behind our 1999 Pathy.....and yes it knows its there, and generally uses around 20-22L/100km towing at around 90/95kph with overdrive off about 50% of the time.....depends a lot on the wind...

our previous van was around 1600kgs and it used around 18-20L/100km

Worst ever so fars has been 24L/100km...very strong head/side winds
and have towed some 30,000km in past 2 years...

I've seen a few with gas, bu the means spare tyre is mved to rear or in the luggage area....if the vehicles used for a lot of towing I'd think that it'd be a wast of money doing the conversion.
AnswerID: 19283

Follow Up By: dp - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 19:31

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 19:31
Thanks to all for the info I think I am going shopping for a new truck!!
cheers
FollowupID: 12108

Sponsored Links