Driving for best fuel economy?

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 20, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 474 Views:2292 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
As a new driver to 4X4's I am confused about driving for the best economy. Is it better to let the engine work down low and use a lot of throttle, or shift back early, let the engine rev, using a light throttle? Is it worth fitting aftermarket cruise control to keep the speed more consistent? I have just brought a LandCruiser 100 RV, petrol, and am getting a little of 5 km/litre in general running. Any idea's or products that save me fuel will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grant - Saturday, Oct 20, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 20, 2001 at 00:00
Jeremy, one thing I feel I can comment on with some knowledge (I'll probably get told otherwise now) is cruise-control. Fine if you are driving on flat terrain but in hilly country the cruise is trying to catch up going up a hill (assume well loaded vehicle, steep hill) and will keep throttling hard to get to the selected speed. You will use more fuel than you believe. When you are driving ,you let the speed bleed off a little rather than accelerate hard to maintain, hopefully saving fuel. Likewise going down the hill the cruise backs you right off making your engine work harder, doing it's engine braking thing. You would just let it find it's own "comfort" level and probably go a bit faster than selcted for the cruise. Anyway, thats how my cruise works and we don't use it that much with fuel getting so costly here in the country. Other CC's may be more "intelligent" and compensate for up and down hill. Grant "not all who wander are lost"
AnswerID: 1246

Reply By: Mick - Sunday, Oct 21, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 21, 2001 at 00:00
Jeremy, 5ks/litre is about spot on, wait till you tow ;-) petrols are cheaper to purchase, service costs 20k instead of 5k for diesel etc, even ULP fuel cost is cheaper nowdays so you can afford to get less economy at the pump,looking at the big picture, There are things you can do to improve the economy, a UNI chip and a Turbo/Intercooler will give you 220kw and economy, by using less pedal to get the same results. Forget the cruise control as an economy device, but great for long distance trips with flat roads and less speeding fines.;-)
AnswerID: 1251

Reply By: Dave S - Monday, Oct 22, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 22, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Jeremy, I've found with my thirsty '76 rangie that it works to use the gears to keep the speed up with the revs down whilst being VERY light footed on the throttle and be patient coz you wont go very fast! I can get 15 litres/100kms on a good day and got 22litres/100kms crossing the Simpson Desert earlier this year. Dont slog the engine too hard in too high a gear though.....As others have said dont go near cruise control... (also dont use air con). Dave
AnswerID: 1253

Reply By: Joe - Monday, Oct 22, 2001 at 00:00

Jeremy,

Well, as the others have said, 5km per litre is about right for a Cruiser, but I have a couple of points to add.

1) Your engine is working at its most efficient when it is operating in the meat of the torque curve. Find out where your engine torque peaks (check magazine reports?) and keep it operating around that point. Don't let it slog in high gears.

2) Cruise control - Most relatively modern ECUs have a "lean burn" setting where, if the throttle setting is constant it will lean off the mixture a little giving you a fuel saving. Use cruise control on level terrain to help in achieving this. As the others have said though, forget it in hilly terrain.

Good luck.

Joe
AnswerID: 1255

Reply By: John - Monday, Oct 22, 2001 at 00:00

Jeremy, I own a 100 Series Auto Petrol and the best ever consumption was 7km/litre (14litres/100km) on a trip to Canberra and only using the CC on flat stretches. As other before me have stated CC use more fuel attaining set speeds up hills. I have heard that a Unichip will boost HP and lower fuel consumption. has somebody out there fitted a unichip? Around the suburbs and city driving the best is a high 21Lts per 100Ks not the best but we are driving a 2 ton 4WD.
AnswerID: 1257

Reply By: Keith - Monday, Oct 22, 2001 at 00:00

Jeremy, My 80 series is a standard petrol/gas and manages 14l/100 on the highway at about 100 - 110k/hr with air on. Gas gives 20l/100. I fitted an after-market cruise control and it's great....not one speeding fine and I find that I am more relaxed when driving. But not good on hilly terrain. And towing a 2.2 tonne van? Down to 24l/100!!!
AnswerID: 1258

Reply By: Rod - Thursday, Oct 25, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 25, 2001 at 00:00
Jeremy, Like you I would like to get better economy out of my 4.5lt cruiser. I discovered a site this morning called "Powerchip" (not Unichip), testimonials by people who have had one of these installed in their vehicle, they're parting with a $1,000 to use MORE fuel. Am I missing something. To aid in better fuel economy I offer the following as these have help me. Sooner or later you're going to have to replace your tyres. By installing larger diameter tyres (I'm currently running 33 inch dia tyres and condemplating 35 inch when they wear out) will also help, they act as an overdrive throughout the whole gear range. You will also need to have your speedo reset. Initially you will notice its a bit sluggish when driving off but you soon become farmiliar with that. With the size of your donk you won't notice any performance difference. After market extractors will also help. But it all costs!
AnswerID: 1272

Sponsored Links