HF Radio to purchase

Submitted: Monday, May 05, 2003 at 18:49
ThreadID: 4740 Views:1858 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Looked on EBay for HF radio 1 is Kenwood TS50 other ICOM ic720a are these any good for the bush

thanks in advance
BobWish i was still here / Gulf in July
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Old Soldier - Monday, May 05, 2003 at 19:28

Monday, May 05, 2003 at 19:28
G'day BJ,

Both these transceivers are generally accepted as being Amateur Radio [HAM] sets, and normally require quite exhaustive licence testing to operate.

Not sure on the current regulations, but at one time if you were caught operating an amateur transceiver without a licence it was a "hanging" offence :) :)

As to whether they would be OK for 4WD use in the bush - the short answer is possibly yes - with some modification. Whether this would be legal is another matter entirely.

Anyway, the technology of both transceivers is pretty old hat - both having been around since the early 90s or possibly earlier.

Having said that they are both excellent brands.

A lot of stolen sets are quite often offered for sale in the strangest places [Ebay ????] Caveat Emptor.

Stick with the Barretts and Codans mate - you generally know what you are buying.

enjoy the bush

DennisN

AnswerID: 19189

Reply By: Tuco69 - Monday, May 05, 2003 at 19:45

Monday, May 05, 2003 at 19:45
Both sets that you mention can be modified (illegally) to operate on frequencies outside the Amateur bands - and will work OK. Use of either is not approved for the Outpost Radio Service. HOWEVER neither have either selcall or more importantly, the two tone access to trigger the emergency response from the RFDS. You will find that most RFDS bases no longer respond to voice calls and it is necessary to use the "Emergency Button" to attract their attention.
If you want HF outback communications get yourself a Codan or Barrett.

Tuco in Cairns
(Barrett 550R)
AnswerID: 19190

Reply By: Dozer - Monday, May 05, 2003 at 20:34

Monday, May 05, 2003 at 20:34
Hi BJ
I have a good remote Codan that i may sell for the right price.
Andrew limo4b@yahoo.com.au
AnswerID: 19193

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethefugawi - Monday, May 05, 2003 at 21:02

Monday, May 05, 2003 at 21:02
have sent email to your yahooCheers
FollowupID: 12054

Sponsored Links