coleman dual fuel stove

Submitted: Monday, May 05, 2003 at 21:41
ThreadID: 4744 Views:5750 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Just like to thank everyone for their input recently on the fuel stoves. I bought one (2 burner)recently and have been using it at home just to make sure it works ok before the next trip.
I am more than impressed with them they put out good heat have a very good simmer setting and dont need constant pumping of the tank during cooking. I had one burner going for just over an hour the other night simmering away no need to pump up the tank.
No regrets on this purchase.
Our local dealer in Cairns wanted $215 for them and wouldnt budge on the price. I found a store in brisbane having an easter special marked down from $280 to $260. Pays to shop around.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Monday, May 05, 2003 at 22:54

Monday, May 05, 2003 at 22:54
couldnt agree more glad we could help.
i should be getting a coleman 414 before the end of the week with any luck.
cant wait to pee off the gas bottles
cheers1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 19213

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 12:37

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 12:37
Darrin, have you tried both Coleman fuel and ULP? I was told by a Coleman dealer that the Coleman fuel, being basically a "lighter fuel", burns cleaner and the stove moves from the "flame" stage (upon first lighting) to the "cooking" stage more quickly on Coleman fuel than ULP.

Your observations?Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
AnswerID: 19250

Follow Up By: Darrin - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 11:41

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 11:41
So far I have only used shellite. It does go almost sraight to a good blue flame. I will try ulp and get back to you with any obvious differences.
FollowupID: 12399

Follow Up By: Darrin - Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 21:08

Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 21:08
used ULP in the stove took maybe an extra couple of seconds to turn to a good blue flame and time to boil 2 litres of water was maybe 5 second slonger when i tried the dff fuels. So i guess you could say its about the same.
FollowupID: 13232

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 09:36

Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 09:36
Thanks Darrin. Apart from shellite burning "cleaner", it sounds like much of a muchness.

I've just sold my Gasmate stove and now just need to decide on whether to replace it with a Coleman gas or duel fuel stove.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 13266

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 14:42

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 14:42
As a longer term user a word of caution. I have been using mine for about 2 years but have had one problem. This involved the stove and fuel sitting for some 5 months when we were not going off-road. We then pottered off to one of our favourite camping spots, and I noted the stove was hard to light, but just put it down to not being used for a while.

As we were cooking a stew, I walked away to get the compulsory beer, and when I turned back the stove was belching yellow flames some 2 feet over the oven. Donning welding gloves (which are my standard pot holders) I turned off the fuel and pulled out the fuel pressure tank. The stove continued to burn for some minutes. What had happened was the generator was blocking and allowing the flame to surge, but it was also spitting raw fuel into the generator. At some pouint the small flame left jumped from the burner into the end of the generator, and a resivour of liquid ULP!

I sent the stove to Coleman it was repaired (at no charge - excellent service) and I was told the ULP was "stale". After talking to some people since I have been told that I should use ULP over 3 months old as some of the aditive "go off" and can gum things up.

This was enough of a fright for me. I went to ourlocal fuel depot and bout a 20 litre can of Shellite for $40. I still use some ULP but use the shellite at least every third tank. As I drive a diesel, I carry a 10 litre jerry on the roof with fuel for the stove on long trips (this would last about 3 months). Its just as easy to use Shellite in this case.
AnswerID: 19262

Reply By: Member - Peter [SA] - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 18:52

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 18:52
Have also been using for a few years now but only ever used shellite and never had any problems. I have a 20lt drum i bought at least 2years ago and still burns perfectly.
Cheers Peter
AnswerID: 19282

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 22:28

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 22:28
Steve/Peter, this is basically what the Coleman fellow warned me about with ULP. With poor regulation over fuel quality, it can cause the stove's generator to gum up. Also he warned that no ULP has a very long "shelf" life. The fuel should be "fresh" and the stove emptied if being stored for any length of time. Basically he said forget ULP except as a back-up, and use "white" fuel.

My Mrs isn't very keen on transporting additional, highly volatile liquid and I'm not keen on trying to fill a small stove from a 20l jerrie. So, apart from a higher heat rating, why are the fuel stoves better than gas?Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 12127

Follow Up By: Member - Peter [SA] - Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 20:14

Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 20:14
Rohan K,
Firstly i carry the fuel in a proper fuel container made by Wedco, they are bright red in colour and mine holds 3 or 4 litres. Being rectangular in shape they pack better in the back of my 4BY. They are less affected by a breeze blowing ie very hard to blow out in windy conditions, also if you are unlucky enough to run out of fuel while you are away you could generally get some ULP from fellow travellers, or any where that sells fuel,almost. With LPG refilling becoming athing of the past these days by that scheme where you swap your empty cylinder with a pre filled one the fuel stoves seem to be a better option. I have the 3 burner stove, the Northstar lantern and the small single burner unit and have never regretted it.
FollowupID: 12195

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 10:22

Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 10:22
Thanks Peter. We don't like gas lights and use electric, but were entertaining the idea of a fuel light as an outdoor area light (saving the re-chargeable fluro's for inside. The fuel light was attractive because of the higher output, portability (not attached to a bottle) and better "fuel economy". However, I didn't really want a 3rd "power source" - battery, gas and fuel - so I was considering moving over to fuel for the stove and single burner as well, and am interested in users' opinions.Be good, or be quick.
Rohan (Sydney)
FollowupID: 12211

Sponsored Links