Duel Battery & charging

Submitted: Monday, May 05, 2003 at 22:24
ThreadID: 4748 Views:2089 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have 40lt Engel, 2 11wt fluro's, Duel battery setup with both batteries as the same (normal 80 amp) and a Honda eu10 gen set. I am confused with the diff advice from this forem, 12 volt shop & oppisite lock. I am talking Long term around oz .

#1 some say i can charge direct from dc outlet & others say it will cook your bateries?

#2 some say deep cycle , others say normal batteries as dc dont like heat & vibration?

#3 charging, 20v battery charger 3 stage vs 55 amp gen set?

#4 some sat Solar?
I plan to stay in one spot for 3+ days Around Oz 06/2004
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cobes - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 10:13

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 10:13
Hi Rox,
I am currently facing the same situation as you are and finding it difficult to get consistant information.
I will answer your questions as best I can based on the advice that I have received.
Please correct me if any information is not as it should be.

(1) Directly charging your batteries from your DC output is fine but you must realise that when the batteries are fully charged the gene will realise and will continue charging.
If this happens it will shorten the life of your batteries.

(2) The issue of Deep cycle and normal batteries is debatable.
If you only use 20-30% of you battery amperage then normal batteries should be OK. If however you use more than this you should be looking at deep cycle batteries. It is true that D/Cycle batteries do not like vibrations but you could may place them on a rubber base to add a little protection.

(3) I have made enquiries about 3 stage charges and have been advised that they don't like to run of generators? I have been advised to purchase an automatic charger which is inferior to a 3 stage.
Is this information correct?

(4) Solar is pretty expensive. Does anyone know where Telstra and the RTA sell their second hand solar cells to?

Perhaps others may be able to add further information and answers

Cheers
Chris.

AnswerID: 19239

Follow Up By: Peter - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 15:34

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 15:34
This is all good stuff.

(1) must realise that when the batteries are fully charged the gene will NOT realise and will continue charging.
Charging Voltages Should be 13.5-14.5 V depending on what you want to do.
Also Current should not be above 10% of Battery Capicity. Ie 80 ah Batt = 8 Amp charge. Any more is useless.

(3) I run an auto charger with boost switch this works well when used in conjuction with dual batt system in car. I check Batt voltage when get home and if not correct put charger on.

I have connected plug to charger so just plug in second socket wired to second batt. Saves alot of wasted effort lifting bonett etc.

I have solar panels ab it expensive still work well.

If have full sun can get 3 days out of 80 ah batt with 32 l engel. connected to 60 w panel.

FollowupID: 12092

Reply By: SteveA - Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 20:37

Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 20:37
Have a look at this site on battery chargers. You can use your geny with this type.

http://www.xantrex.com/products/product.asp?did=180
AnswerID: 19293

Follow Up By: Cobes - Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 10:33

Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 10:33
Hi Steve,
They look like excellent units howeveer the 20amp model is just over $900.00.
A little too expensive for me.

Cheers
Chris.
FollowupID: 12146

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 18:37

Saturday, May 10, 2003 at 18:37
I've found a brand of deep cycle that seems to cope with 4WD and is mounted above my extractors - it's a Federal DC27 90Ah from Battery World.

I top up the water once a month and it's about 18 months old and ran my Evakool all of easter. I always use a mains charger to supplement the alternator charge.

I prefer AGM batteries for the trailer but don't use them in the car coz of heat.
AnswerID: 19610

Sponsored Links